1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Powering a MXR Blue Box without batteries

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DosiYanarchy, Oct 4, 2008.

1. so... I asked this question in another related thread, but no one actually gave me an answer so i thought you might have one for me:

can a MXR Blue Box be powered with any 9v power supply, because i was accused of breaking one I bought off ebay because it was broken when it arrived and it wasnt until I asked why it didnt work that i was informed that it needed its own power supply, if not batteries, and that I couldnt use a regular 9v power supply and that doing so would damage it. All literature i can find on the subject seems to mention the Dunlop ECB03 AC Adapter, on the bottom of the pedal it also asks for a regulated power supply. I have something of a cheap DC Brick clone, powers both my 9v and 18v pedals, including my MXR Blowtorch and Dunlop 105q.

please dont tell me I broke the other pedal and ill need a special adaptor for the Blue Box ill be getting in a few days.

thanks

2. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    i have never had problems running mine off of a One-Spot.....

3. sweet! also - I dig the discworld reference on your location ;)

4. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    The Blue box runs fine off a normal power supply

5. thanks alot, I was sold a dud on ebay and told I wrecked it (even it was sold to me with a broken jack-tip lodged in the input, and i had to take the pedal apart to remove it) I just didnt want to wreck another one.
    cheers

6. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I'm sure I've seen at least one Blue Box that requires a POSITIVE tip power supply like this:
    http://www.noisefx.com/article/mxr_blue_box_mod
    ... whereas most effects (and, therefore, power supplies) have NEGATIVE tip as a standard.

If the polarity of the external supply was incorrect, it can definitely damage the pedal.

7. my drummer did suggest that to me, im hoping that I can use a regular 9v power block. Im a total n00b on the tech-side of pedals, just dont have a clue, but basically - if the symbol next to the power input on my blue box looks the same as the one on the Noise FX site, then ill need a special adaptor (altho I cant find a british replacement to the Dunlop ECB-002 AC adapter), however, if it matches the symbol on my other pedals, it'll be fine?
    thanks
    theo

8. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Yes - assuming your other pedals are negative tip, of course. :) The noise FX site shows a BB requiring a positive tip power supply, and these are definitely no-where near as common as negative-tip powered FX.

It is also pretty easy to make up a polarity-changer, if necessary, or to remove the plug from a dedicated power supply and re-attached it with the wires (and hence, polarity) reversed.

9. Thanks Unbeleiver, you know i've never even checked the polarity of pedals before! although with my old wall wart, you could turn the tip the other way round to change the polarity apparently, i never noticed a difference tho.

hmmmmmm, im hoping my new one is Centre-negative, I get a bit OCD if I have to use batteries.
    you've helped me out alot. the Dunlop website says that it'll only take the official Dunlop ECB-002 AC adapter or the ECB-003, but i cant think why.

10. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Hm, that's a new one on me.... maybe that was a vintage one?

That said, if you decide to use a 1-Spot or something like that, you could simply buy the 1-Spot adapter for that particular connection (about $3.00). Q.v:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1-SPOT-CYR-ADAP...ryZ41412QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

11. well i use one of those cheap multi-pedalpower type things. The one i originally bought had the C11 mod and looked to be quite loved but in pretty good nick. Im hoping the new ones are center-negative and that the other one was faulty when it was sent to me. i know that Boss always say to use their own power supplies, and altho Dunlop say use their power supply, it also suggests that you can use the DC brick, which one of my power supplies seems to be a cheap clone of.
    I'll check it out b4 i plug anything in, and that one-spot idea is great, i should be able to get hold of one if needs be :)

thanks