1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Powering a pedal from the US in Australia?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by El Raro, Jan 9, 2012.

1. I'm looking at a MXR M80 D.I on eBay which I'm about to pull the trigger on but I just want to know for sure if I can use it here in Oz since its from America. Do I need some sort of power converter or can I simply use my current Boss PSA-240 and daisy chain it with my other pedals with no problems?

2. sidez81

sidez81

Mar 16, 2011
    QLD, Australia
    Yeah man should be golden bud... Im in Bris bought all my MXR Morley and Tech21 Bass driver DLX from the states. Its all 9v gear the only issue I can see is you wanna daisy chain it off a PSA-240 with other pedals NOT A GOOD IDEA you could (add it up i could be wrong) exceed the milliamp output of the PSA under powering your pedals. What I did to resolve that was bought a dunlop DC brick (voodoolabs and others make the same thing) its got 7 9v outs 3 18v outs and is 1000milliamps more than enough for my board.

3. Thanks, sidez. I don't think the mA draw should be a problem since I only have a Boss GEB-7 and a Bass Big Muff Pi in my chain (both of which fall well under the 240 mA draw of the PSA). The PSA-240 should be more than capable of powering the three pedals. My only concern was whether or not there were polarity differences between the units sold in the US and Australia.

4. sidez81

sidez81

Mar 16, 2011
    QLD, Australia
    Nah no diff man its all made the same (negative center) Ive seen few pedals that run positive center... Let me know how it goes for ya.

5. Add all the mA together for the total draw. DI might need a bit more than some.