Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Powering Aguilar's GS112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rok51, Apr 10, 2003.

1. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    For those of you using the GS112, how much power have you been able to feed it without distress?

Kim

2. I bridge my DCM1000 into my GS112s. 1000w into both, 700w into one without breaking a sweat.

3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I bridge my QSC PLX-1602 into a pair of GS112's. I have no problem either.

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    and i regularly put 400 magic tube watts (doesn't that equal like 4,000w ss?) into one...

but I have a friend that runs 150w into one and it STILL sounds great. Its not like some high-end cabs that sound just like ass when they're underpowered.

Imho, of course. heh.

5. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Thanks, I guess I've got to put a pair of the GS112s on my short GAS list!

Kim

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, "ass" isnt something i look for in my cabs.

:D

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    :eek:

8. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    g4string,

How do you use your QSC bridged with two GS112's? Do you need a special Y cable?

I've got a GS112 but I'm planning on adding a second one and I don't know how to handle this.

TIA
    keep groooovin'
    Fran

9. I get a surprising amount of volume from pushing a single GS112 with 120 watts from my Clarus.

10. Fran,

The two 1/4" jacks on the GS112 are wired in parallel so I daisy chain my two Aggies using them. I run a speakon cable from my poweramp into the speakon jack of one GS112 (the one stacked on top of the other). Works fine for me.

Jeff

11. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I power one GS112 for rehearsals and two GS112s for most gigs with my DB750. The single 112 can handle the DB750, and it's been too loud way before any noticable distortion occurs.

The 750 watts into the two 112s is more than I need for most gigs...which is just the way I like it.

12. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

I use a bannana plug to plug into the QSC, on the same cable that has the bannana plug I plug the other end into the 1/4 jack on the cab. Then I use another 1/4 cable to connect the two cabs together.

13. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I use an speakon-speakon cable. Can I use one of the jacks in my cab to connect to the other cab or do I need to use both 1/4" jacks?

TIA
    keep groooovin'
    Fran

14. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey Peter, I run this exact setup too - mostly for musical theater and small jazz gigs - it's truly amazing that the little cigar box can put out so much juice...

love being a one-trip wonder!

15. Fran,
    I should have worded my reply better. Sorry. Yes, use your speakon to speakon to connect to one cab from your amp and then use a 1/4" to 1/4" cable to connect the two together.

Cheers,
    Jeff

16. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Thanks a lot Jeff!!!

keep groooovin'
    Fran

17. The last really technical explanation we got was yesterday and he said that running a tube amp at -3 db was like running a ss amp and -10db so that's 7 db difference which means its equal to a 17 or 1800 watt SS amp. If you agree with the -3 to -10 theory......:D

18. olie

olie

Dec 16, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    I'm powering two GS112's with my Ashdown ABM 500. The sound is awesome, and volume? Well they've re-routed the flight path into san jose to avoid the turbulence I create. :D

olie