Powering Cabinets... Too Little

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cúl-Báire, May 26, 2005.

1. Howdy Howdy...

I am currently building a Cabinet- and was thinking of building another smaller cabinet.

Anyways lately I have had my eye caught on Gallien Krueger's RB 800- I have actually put a bit on one on eBay Europe...

To the point... I was looking at building a 1x12" to go under my 2x10"- however the RB 800 is rated at 300w @ 4ohms - with a seperate 100w @ 8 Ohm chanel to handle all the high freqency duties.

So my idea was to build a 2x12" using two Delta12LF's (I already have one), which would make the cab 4ohms, and later build a small 2x8" (or 6") 8ohm cabinet to sit on top for all the high stuff.

I know the Galline Kruegers' are loud as I own an RB 400 III which is pushing 160w@8Ohms into my Hartke 210xl at the moment, which is quiet loud- but can get distorted. I was just wondering is 300w@4ohm enough power to power the 2x12" or should I be looking for bigger wattage numbers?

I dont play in a band at the moment although I want to start up soon (most gigs are small to medium sized), but I often jam with a loud drummer and guitarist from time to time- will this keep them at bay? Or as stated above should I be looking for a higher powered head?

2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Should be plenty for most gigs... Actually, you'll probably be surprised at just how loud you can get!!

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I've owned and regularly played out of an 800RB for 2 years now. I like it a lot for what it does, and the low-power section is just plain beefy for 300W. I never had good luck with the biamping, to be honest, and I've tried it in a variety of configurations; your best bet is to connect an 8ohm cab to the high frequency amp and run both amps full range, as that 100W amp has a good bit of juice to it as well.

So yes it will drive the 212, and yes it will drive a 2x8 well at the same time. I've often used my 800RB with an SWR Big Ben 18" speaker and a 15, and it had all the juice I could ask for in normal rock band conditios.

Also of note though: there are some heads that I like better than the 800RB for the money.
    For Example: I got my 800RB new for a good price of $500 after tax at a retail store. I picked up a Kustom Groovebass 1200 amp, which is much more powerful, flexible, and warm in tone than the 800RB for $550 new. I'm keeping both heads, but the Kustom is just an example of how you may prefer the advantages of new technology to old, which the 800RB certainly is.
  4. Awesome thanx for the info- When I saw this pop up I though that would be perfect. I am currently a GK User, the RB 400 III I own has great tone now I have finally dialed in- But I am after a little more power without spending thousands of dolars... Also the RB 800 isnt available new in Australia due to not passing Aussie CE standards, older ones are ok though and go for quiet abit when they pop up on Ebay Australia...

For the bi-amp I plan to roll off the the frequency a fair bit, and use the 2x8"s for really only stuff like transients and such- A majority of the time the the 2x12"S will thump it out- if all goes to plan of course.

As for modern technology- well here in Australia it cost dollars, big dolars! I am also looking at an Ashdown ABM500 which retails at $2300AUD, or the GK RB700 II; if I dont win this auction though I will more likely go the 1x12" route with the 2x10's a top. Ebay is a good spot to look- but 240v power system used in AUstralia, pretty much limits me to units local or in Europe.