Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Powering my effect pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Aug 1, 2005.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I have a Boss CEB-3, a Boss LS-2, a Tech 21 SABDDI and a Zoom 506II. At the moment I have got the original powersupply to the 506II pedal. At the 506II powersupply input is says 9 V 300 mA and the original power adaptor is labeled 9 V 300 mA.

Can I supply all of my pedals with the same powersupply or will I need to buy an other one to power the Boss' and the SABDDI? Will the original Zoom powersupply burn if I'll try to power all of my pedals with that single adaptor?

/MrBaloo :confused:

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    CEB-3 = 22mA
    LS-2 = 25 mA
    Sansamp = 6mA

The Sansamp number sounds low, but that's what the manual claims. So as long as the Zoom is under say 200mA, you are good to go.

3. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Thanks!

The Zoom manual recommend to use the original adaptor capable of 300 mA. I think I will have to do some more research to know the actual power consumption of the 506II.

May the powersupply burn if all of the powered effect pedals uses more than 300 mA?

/MrBaloo

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't think it would burn or anything. Underpowering pedals will just mean they won't be drawing enough current to work properly... such as a slightly less affected sound, or some may not actually work. I say try it, I don't see any harm coming of it.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hmmm, something is not right here. According to Zoom, it needs 300mA but can run more than 28 hours on 4 AA batteries. Yet a Boss DD-3 takes 45-65 mA and can run two hours max on a 9 volt battery :confused:

I would say try it, it will probably work. At worst, you are going to have to invest $20 in a Boss adapter for the other pedals.

6. AA's have significantly more capacity than 9V's. Perhaps they don't actually require 300mA, but that's what Zoom recommends.

7. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Thank you for your answers.

Ok, I have tested my effect chain setup and it works very well with the single Zoom adaptor. But I have only tested this setup for about 5 minutes so I don't know if the powersupply beeing extremely warm/hot.

I think I'll go for this solution as long as it seems to works.

/MrBaloo

8. Smoe

Smoe

Jul 20, 2005
    If all else fails - find an engineering nerd from your local school or college. I did, and he built me a power supply with voltage reulation that supplies my 12 Pedals. complete with a hardcore heat sink and noise filtering.