1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Powering My Setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jufros, Sep 27, 2009.

1. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    My new board is almost finished but I'm really not sure what the best way to power it is going to be. Here's what I'll be working with...

Boss LS-2 (2x)
    MXR BOD
    Eventide Pitchfactor (requires its own adapter)
    Boss GEB-7
    4ms Nocto Loco (requires isolated power)
    DOD FX25
    Subdecay Noise Box
    Chunk Systems Brown Dog
    Copilot FX Orbit
    Wooly Mammoth Clone
    Maxon AF-9
    Moog MF-101 (requires its own adapter)
    Robot Factory Photron (18V)
    Eventide Modfactor (requires its own adapter)
    Boss LMB-3

2. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
  3. Besides the noted ones, most of those pedals are pretty easy going for power. I'd go with a Powerall/One Spot and a power bar.
    Or a brick / PP2 for the isolated output! That might make more sense.

4. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    If I got 2x PP2+ units, I would be using 14 of the 9v outs (2 together for the Photron), leaving me 2 more if I decided to add 2 more pedals. The thing is, I would still need 2 wall adapters for the Eventide units and 1 adapter for the Moog (unless you can run Moog units of the PP2+?) so I'd need 4-5 spots on a power strip anyway. I also forgot to mention that I'm using the MP-201 so I'd really need 5-6. I assume you can mount two PP2+ units on a PT-Pro.

5. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    The Photron needs to be plugged into the 'courtesy AC' outlet, or powered by a Pedal Power AC; It needs AC power, not DC, unless he did yours differently (when I commented about the amazing clarity and non-coloring operation of the filter, he attributed it to the 18v AC power supply, and that it didn't retain as much clarity when set up for different power sources.)

6. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

You can run the MF-101 (or 102 or 103) off of the PP2+. Just need to get the right cable from VoodooLab. PPREV is the cable name.

7. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    You could fit everything on two PP2+'s easily; maybe even on one. The Moog just needs a reversed polarity cable (white tip), and you can daisy chain a few of the regular 9v ones. Using the courtesy AC outlet on the back, you can plug in a power strip and put the MP201, Eventides and Photron (this is where I have my Paradox, Photron, MP201, and FCB1010). If you could daisy chain enough of them, you could probably still get a One Spot in on that power strip for the last couple pedals. I think two PP2's would be hard to mount and excessive. If it were me, in a worst case scenario I would do one PP2+ loaded up, and then a One Spot or similar, for a maximum of two cables coming out of your board; but if you buy some daisy chain cables and the reversed polarity cable, and experiment with daisy chaining, I bet you could pull it off with one PP2.

8. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Ok cool I think I'm going to give it a whirl. I had been using a PT-2 and a PT-Jr and using daisy chains, but everything just got way too complicated to be practical for gigging and rehearsing. I need to make this all easier. I really like the fact that you can plug a surge protector in the PP2+. It really seems like the best option.

9. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    One word...batteries.

:bag:

10. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Nah.

The advice you have re: PP2 is ok, but if it was me I'd do one-spot and a power strip.

11. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I could definitely do that and have plenty of 1-spot's and power strips. Is there a Moog adapter for the 1-spot? I'm really not too opposed to the PP2+ idea if it will make things simpler ultimately. I'm looking around for a used one at the moment.

12. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    The Moog will run on a one spot with a special adapter. However you may also get added noise if it is chained with too many other pedals.

you need this:

reverse polarity adapter

13. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I ordered a BBE Supa Charger and an adapter for the MF-101 today. I really didn't need the extra features that the PP2+ offered and I think I can live with plugging my power strip into an outlet instead of into my power supply. The $60 I would have spent on the Voodoo Lab will go elsewhere.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen.

14. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I'm glad you said that, I STILL haven't built mine but when I do I want to run it off my daisy chain!