Powering pedals via battery into adapter plug?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bongostealth, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Is it possible to power an effects pedal (the no battery type) via a battery clip plugged into the 9v adapter plug?

I have a couple of pedals that don't take batteries. When I just want to use one of those, I wish I didn't have to plug them into the wall each each time. I purchased a Voodoo Labs plug cable that has a 9v battery clip on the other end of the cable. However, this didn't work.

Silly me...

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

It should work - just double check the polarity of the plug.

3. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    It depends on the pedal's power requirement.

If it only needs 9v, then this works just fine as long as the adapter has the right barrel and tip polarity for your pedal, and your 9v battery has plenty of charge.

I do this all the time for most pedals if I just want to give them a quick test drive without wiring it into a board or power supply.

If the pedal requires 12, 15, 18, or 24v on the other hand, this won't work, and you are stuck with a wall wart or power supply.

Also, be warned even some 9v powered pedals will suck a 9v dry real fast depending on the current draw.

Pedals with tubes or digital pedals often use a BUNCH of power, even if they are 9v friendly.

bongostealth and Riff Ranger like this.
  4. I have done this with 9v pedals as well, long enough to determine that it worked, not long enough to determine battery life.

5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Depends on the current requirements. A 9V battery cannot supply high-current for long.

An alkaline Duracell is rated for 580mAh. AFAIK this is how much total current you get if the power is pulled out over 20hrs. So this is the total mA available if the current draw is 580/20 = 29mA continuous. In other words the battery can supply 29mA continously for 20 hrs.

If you pull the power out faster, the total mAh available goes down. So if you tried to draw 500mA continuous, the same battery would probably be depleted in less than an hour.

You can strap multiple batteries in parallel to increase the available current. Two alkaline 9V Duracells should provide 58mA continuous for 20 hrs. Three should provide 87mA continuous for 20 hrs. Four should provide 116mA continuous for 20 hrs.

Depending on your current, needs you may want to consider a rechargeable pedal power supply. Here is an example: go-rechargeable - Mission Engineering I have not researched this device, it's only an example.

6. aleclee likes this.
  7. I think I'm going to give the Mission Engineering a shot! Couldn't hurt to have this readily handy! Thanks for the link!

Wasnex likes this.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yes. I have done it.

bongostealth likes this.
  9. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    We look forward to your review ;).

10. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporting Member

I do this all the time. I got really cheap clips on amazon or something I think and then I also got little rubber caps for the ends when I am not using them to protect things. It works out really great and I'm amazed at how it works with almost every 9v pedal. It's super convenient when testing things out quickly. I have 6 or 8 of them...most are in my jam spot, but have some in the office where I have been known to futz with a pedal or 3. They also work great for small desktop synths which I love.

gh0st42 and Wasnex like this.
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Speaking of, I just bought a 5 pack and not one of them worked. Why are these even wired in reverse? Aren't most pedals plugs wired the same way?? I'm sending them back and just waiting for my One Spot. Ugh!

12. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporting Member

DWBass likes this.
  13. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I use a Joyo JP-06W ZGPW Power Converter to attach a pedal to a USB power source.
    This works great and I can even play with tube or digital pedals, since it offers up to 400mA and a power bank has a bit more juice than your normal 9V battery.