Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Powering pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bmc, Dec 19, 2003.

1. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Couple of questions for today.

1. I now have two pedals. Do I need to buy two separate 9 volt adapters to power them, or can you buy one adapter for both?

2. Any compelling reason to buy a Boss 9volt adaptor over a generic multi volt/multi prong adaptor.

Thanks guys...and have a Merry Christmas.

Brian

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    1. One adaptor is enough, you just need a special cable for it that lets you power several boxes at once, Boss offers one IIRC. Other companies too.

2. Get a decent generic one.

Merry Christmas to you too.

3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Many store guys seem to try to get you to buy like-brand adapters.....eh. Stuff about milliamps frying pedals..... I dunno, i'm not much on effects.

Word of advice, when you get an adapter, always try to get one with one more plug tan you need....just in case.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I would personally recommend a OneSpot Power Adapter. Handles 800mA and more, does great stuff and for twice the price of a BOSS Adapter, it can power many pedals. It does Morley's, BOSS, Ibanez, and even Line 6 and Electro-Harmonix pedals with adapters. And even better, amazingly long cable and it only takes up one spot on a power strip.

5. Keep in mind that with Boss and MXR (probably more, these are just what I have) that the polarity is reversed. You wanna make sure your adapter is + -<- -

Positive on the pole, negative on the core. FYI thats OPPOSITE of just about every 9v adapter. Clever marketing ploy that lets them make you think you NEED their's. As long as you get the right type, you're in good shape.

6. OTOH, that's the same as every 9V pedal out there (pretty much - I've never seen or heard of any one that differs).

So any power brick designed for effects pedals - the type your music shops should sell - should do. *I* use a generic, no-brand 9V power brick, and haven't run into a problem yet.

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Seasons greetings everyone....and thank you very much for the help. I managed to sneak away from the family on Tuesday to check out two local music stores that I thought would a) carry adaptors and ultimately b) sell the Boss adaptor for more than one pedal. Only one sold adaptors, but no link for aditional pedals.
    I live in Geneva, Switzerland and finding stuff like this is a real challenge. When you do find it, you pay through the nose.
    If any Europe based readers can introduce me to music store links in surrounding countries, that would be much appreciated.
    I am attaching a pic I took on Monday while out looking for a decent sized turkey. While not a picture of a bass, it's a great shot of our local scenery for the Christmas season.

A sincere thank you to all who responded. This forum is just great. Santa brought me two Planet Wave cables and a nice guitar stand. My Christmas project is building a pedal board for my (old style) EBS Octave pedal, Boss Chorus, and older style Sadowsky Outboard Preamp. Unfortunately, the Sadowsky is not wired for an adaptor. I sent an email to Sadowsky asking if they have a mod. If anyone know of such, I'd love hearing from you.

Stay healthy and good luck in 2004.

Brian