Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

powering several pedals question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dadodetres, Jun 28, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    ypiiii my LS-2 and the boss pedalboard arrived today!

im setting upo then pedalboeard..... and ill post some pisc when ready...

but i have some questions first....

the pedalboard is capable of powering all the pedals in teh pedal board, in case they are boss or compatible....

but im not only using boss pedals.....

what i need to know for knowinf which pedals i can power?

the other ones are a KORG AX1B and a Sansamp bass driver...

i know i has to do with amperes.... but dont know exactly what

thancks!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Both can use standard Boss power supplies.
    Just add all power from your pedals and make sure the total is under the max your PS can deliver.

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i have to sum the amperes?

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    also, which is the frequency of the AC in the US ? 50-60Hz???

jazz: you are the master of the ax1b: i cant find in the manual the amperes it neads, can you help me with this?

i actually dont have the manual of my sansamp, so if anyone know pleas help me with this.

5. Don't worry about the Hz of AC power...

Most pedals will draw only a small current - in milliamperes (mA). Most won't have the current requirements on them, I usually use a 50mA ballpark for any pedal I don't have info on.

Then take all the pedals you need to power, and add the mA requirement for each up. As long as the power supply can supply at least that amount, you're good to go.

My current pedalboard runs 8 pedals, all powered via a laptop power supply, which gives out 10v, 1.3A - so it can power a huge number of pedals (the 1v difference doesn't cause any issues). Most wallwarts and typical pedal power adaptors only put out 200-500mA, which will cut down the number of pedals you could run.

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    whoa, how'd u do that?!

7. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
  8. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    oh, i thought u literally used the plug from a laptop :rolleyes:, i already power almost all of my pedals through my boss tuner, i just need to power my ehx

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
  10. Umm, I do! :D It's a power supply for a Compaq (generic psu), terminates in a 1.8/2.0mm (smaller than the normal 2.1mm jack on FX) plug. I just chopped that off, wired on a 2.1mm plug, and that powers my Boss TU2. Then I run a couple of daisy-chains off the TU2 to power everything else. For my (DC-powered) EHX pedals I just use a plug adaptor off the daisy chain that also swaps the polarity.

The laptop supply is 10v, 1.3A, hasn't fried anything, and will power most 12v pedals OK. Switching psu too, so it handles either 110v or 240v AC, and uses a common figure-8 power cord.

I'll pop a pic up if you're keen?

11. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    hmmmm ::scratches chin::: indeed. yes i am indeed keen...more out of curiousity...i need my laptop plug lol