Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Powering the baby Bergantino

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just picked up a HT112 Bergantino and I'm really liking it so far. So much so I'm going to get another. This will make it so that I can pair them for a 4 ohm load with my Fafner. Those Fafner's like 2/4 ohm loads.

I have tried the 112 with one side of the PLX 1602 through the Demeter. This would probably be 300 watts into the little cab which should be fine. And I'm thinking that the cab should work great with one side of an Eden WT-800.

I just wanted to get an idea what others, with this cab are using to power it.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've heard of people cranking lotsa watts into these but I get by just fine with about 200 watts for club work.

It's not a power hog like Acme or EA boxes.

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Nice Cab!

I have 2 (ht and ex) some time I think I want some bigger stuff then I use my gear and at least once during the jam I think "why" :)

I use a walter woods ultra and if I only use one cab its really low volume. I never really push one 2 just sounds SO MUCH bigger that I just need that tone more than volume. I think that one cab would ussually cut the volume. Like I said its the tone. So one cab is ussually with the master set low using the upright bass.

With 2 I dime the master for max headroom and adjust volume with the pre.

AJ

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I put about 450 watts into mine with the EA iamp600. I adjust the preamp gain to just before overload and then set the output at about 12:00 o'clock. Nice sound with good headroom in a small room.

5. Two For Me.
    Like Andrew, I have the HT and EX 112s. I use my usual QSC PLX 2402 (not bridged) into one or both cabs. One is great, Two are huge. I've tried the bridge thing with the one and two cabs. I'm just very satisfied going one channel per cab. Plus, you have more control. Yep, I just crank up both channels all the way, and set my Demeter VTBP201S were I like it. Also, I'm using a Auralex Gramma platform and the stack sounds very focused, punchy and very deep. I definitely prefer using the boxes on the platform, not to say they don't sound very good without one. One thing bad about the platform is once you have your cabs and head on top, it's not going to slide for stage adjustments. I fixed that by placing four 3-1/2" teflon discs used for moving furniture under the foam between the floor/carpet. Slides like butta, but still very stable. :D

6. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Great responses, guys. I appreciate it.

If I may ask, the guy that sold me the HT112 recommended that I get another HT112 over the EX112 because he says the single tweeter gets lost when you couple the cabs.

Do you find that to be true? I can save a bit of $$$ by just going with the EX over the HT as we all know.

7. Jerry,
    I've never played two HT112 together, but I would say I disagree wth the getting lost statement. My Ht and Ex sound fabulous. I've even seen a couple of posts stating as a single cab the EX is preferred. Best if you can a/b and make up your own mind.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The statement that one tweeter gets lost with between two 112's is completely false. Jim Bergantino found that you only lose, I believe, 1db of the tweeter's frequency using the EX112.

9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Great info to ponder. I'm going to take this advise and save some bucks, to boot. ;)

And as I think about it, I typically turn most tweeters way down. I hate string noise.

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I use on side of a QSC2402 into the HT112[500 watts] sounds great! I wouldn't worry about losing the tweeter by using two cabs....the Bergie tweeters are the best I've heard:bassist: :bassist:

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

I used to be that way haded every tweeter I ever had would just turn them down

Ive never even touched the knob on my bergs,high noon;)

AJ

12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I second that Andrew! I'm still amazed at the defference in the sound of my HT210 and my SWR Goliath JR III's (and I like my Jr's). It's hard to describe but on Berg you hear the highs but not the tweeter!:cool:

EMJAZZ,
    How are things in Switzerland? Played the Berg at a gig Sunday night and the tone was awesome! I spoke to Jim last week and he sold me a cover and threw in some new corners & screws n/c. Super nice guy!
    Later,
    Joe

13. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    How does the two Bergantino 1-12 cabs together compare to you mesa 2-15 rig? Have you ever used the 400+ with the two berg 1-12 cabs? I am used to using two Bag End S-15D cabs but am wanting a little something different. I know I should not ask this but two bergantino 1-12 cabs or two epifani
    1-12 cabs? I mostly use a fender Jazz 4 and a SWR SM-900 or eden WT-400 but want to get a Mesa 400.

14. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Also forgot to ask about 2 aguilar 1-12 cabs. How they compared to the berg and epi?

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    JOE! Cool man, I'm so glad that you love the Berg as much as I did. I'm not surprised to hear that Jim set you up. He's a great guy and a great businessman as well. You don't always see that.

You know, after selling you the Berg I decided to move back from Switzerland for good. There just isn't enough money to be made in music here to survive. It certainly is a beautiful place though.

Good to hear all is well though.

FLATBASS:

I've had all of those 12's at one time. I myself prefer the Bergs but all of those cabs are great in their own way. The Aguilar is great for the price and fairly flat sounding, the Epifani is more smooth but the crossover is just not as beautiful as the Berg. I would recommend the Bergs anyday.

16. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I'd like to jump in here.

I'm looking at portable cabs. THe only one I've tried is the EACXL12 and only breifly. I'm interested in the Bergantino/Aguilar/EA/Accugroove cabs (so I've narrowed it down to all high powered small cabs available in Europe). With the exception of the later the dealer (overwater) is the other end of England.

OK long intro over. Questions..

Hows the low B on the Berg 112? Jerry youve got 5's and 6's any thoughts? Anyone else?

How does the cab work with KT88's? Strange question but tubes tend to be 'funny' about what pickups and cabs they pair up with.

BTW I play Musicman and Warwick basses in a variety of styles and am currently using a Hartke TP 410 (so just about any decent cab will smoke it).

Sorry RE length but I get twitchy about buying without trying as generally theres at least 2 music shops within 4 miles of most towns in UK and the culture is you try you annoy the sales weasel, you try more and maybe buy.

THanks in advance.

17. Well, I sold my extra Mesa Cabs and extra 400+. I kept the original 400+ and one single 15EV cab, I love that rig, but I'm really spoiled with my lighter stuff now. My original quest with Berg cabs started out tying to use my 400+. I first tried an HT322 and the 400+ could not push it very well only at lower volumes and it didn't sound that great. Then I tried the HT212 they had at the shop and it sounded much better and I bought it. Later on some gigs I found the 400+ not to be adequate power handling for the 212 even though it sounded great at low to medium volumes. I then popped for a QSX2402 and Demeter pre and am very happy with that set up.

I then started to get the 112's one by one. They sound great of course with the QSC/Dem rig. I did happen to try out the 400+ one day too. I used my HT-112 with the Mesa 1x15ev and it sounded very nice. I then tried just the 112 and it sounded very good too. I still contend that on the job/live the Boogie would be straining to get the most out of any Berg cab. You do need power, but Brother when you add it, wonderful things happen. I would assume that all the hifi type cabs would require the same "juice" to really ring-out the best of.

Later on: I revisited the HT-322 with my QSC/Dem rig and left the store with that box too. Shesssh. It's now my favorite total rig. I'm selling the HT212 because the two 112 fill that area for me. I don't need two big cabs.

To answer your question: I think the 400+ would do one 112 Berg with no problem, but I'm not sure about two. I did use my two 1x15 Mesa cabs quite a few time with the 400+ and liked a lot but found myself getting lost in the mix sometimes. Very nice cabs (they were Diesels not Road Ready) but I like the two Berg 112 much better than the two Mesa 1x15. More focused, more punchier, more solid bottom. The thing I like about EV15" drivers is that sort of wet old school sound, but I don't really miss it. Beside I still have the Boogie set up at home.

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I use 7 string (and occasionally 6 string) basses exclusively. The Low B sounds great through the HT112 with the amp detailed above. Fat and punchy with great stage-filling low end. It's really quite an amazing sounding little cabinet. I always set mine on a milk-crate so I can hear it better. And I'm usually playing it on a raised auditorium-style stage that's cut back into the wall.

19. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Thanks Boogiebass. I wondered about the B thing due to the specs on the Berg against the EA (and I know you should use your ears). I really dont want to have to drive up (pronounced oop) north.

20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Am I the only one who has found you have to tip the HT112 on end to stack them?

The handles are taller than the corners so the cab on top is wobbly otherwise.

I was quite surprised at this.