1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Powering your effects board.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Musicman1901, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Hello i have recently started getting into effects quite a bit and am looking for the best way to power them all and i have a few questions. First of all i was looking at this:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...5-r-5-connector-right-angle-daisy-chain-cable

I should be able to power 5 effects like that but what i was wondering is where does the final cable go after its run through all the effects? what is the power source to power those 5 cable inputs?

I also need one of these:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/godlyke-power-all-system-battery-clip-jumper-cable

One of my effects is battery only so i figured i could use that but again what would i plug the other end into. I hear alot about the voodoo lab pedal power thing. I see the voodoo lab pedal power comes with its own cables to hook up your pedals Could i run that battery clip jumper cable into the voodoo pedal or can you only use the ones it comes with. I'm sorry for all of the unorganized questions i'm just new to this and trying to find the most efficient way to power all of my pedals. Thanks, Mike

2. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
  3. The daisy chain cord would work with a OneSpot power transformer/adaptor. If you get a Voodoo labs pedal power unit you probably won't need the daisy chain, unless you want to run a whole lot of pedals.

The battery adaptor jumper cable seems like it would also connect to a OneSpot, or to one connector on your daisy chain that was then connected to a OneSpot.

I am powering my board off of two OneSpots and daisy chains right now, but I think eventually a Voodoo Labs or other competitor power supply will be a useful upgrade.

4. VooDoo Power! Makes those pedals sound like they should!

5. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    So i should be able to buy the daisy chain, Battery adaptor jumper cable, and 2 onespot adaptors to power it all?

4 pedals in daisy chain to a one spot adaptor, and the 5th pedal using the battery adaptor jumper cable to a 2nd one spot adaptor? Then plug them both into the wall or whatever using 2 plugs?

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  7. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    So if i buy that kit posted above that comes with everything that gives me power to all pedals and the battery adaptor to connect my battery only pedal but what i dont get is where are the other ends of those connectors going. whats the power source. Can they both plug into this one spot adaptor thing? Sorry i am just a little confused

8. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    So you plug the wall wart into the wall and the other end has a male barrel connector. You plug the female end of the daisy chain into the male end of the wall wart. After this, you will have 5 male ends that are powered on the daisy chain.

Plug in 4 pedals with the daisy chain. Put the battery connector on the battery slot for pedal 5 and plug the female end of the battery connector to the 5th male end of the daisy chain.

9. Well, if you're only running 5 pedals total, you should be able to do it with one OneSpot. Just plug the jumper cable into one of the outlets on the daisy chain. The Godlyke adaptor linked above is pretty much the same thing as a OneSpot, consider them interchangeable- buy whichever is cheaper.

10. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    The power adaptor has a single power lead coming off it which could power a single pedal. Or you plug it into the female connector of the daisy chain and away you go.
    With a daisy chain, all the pedals have a shared earth and this can sometimes cause hum.
    The voodoo labs is different because all of the power leads have an isolated earth. That's why it's more expensive - it's like several individual one spots.

11. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Jonny Angle- thank you very much for explaining that to me i was very confused. So how bad is the hum running pedals in a daisy chain? does it get worse the more effects you have? I just don't want to buy the voodoo lab thing for such a high price if its only advantage is to cancel out a little hum.

12. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    The thing with the hum is it doesn't happen with all pedals, and you won't know until you try it. Bit if it's there it can be quite noticeable, and will definitely get you some ugly looks from sound guys.

I can tell you that a daisy chain doesn't play nice with any Line 6 pedals or Electro Harmonix. You also have to look at the mA draw for all your pedals combined. If that exceeds what the daisy chain can supply your pedals may not work properly, or more likely one or more won't work at all.

I tried several different power supplies, including the Onespot, T-Rex Fuel Tank, and Jim Dunlop DC Brick, and the only one that didn't cause problems was the Voodoo Labs.

Voodoo Labs does make the ISO 5, which powers fewer pedals and costs a bit less. You should have a look at that before you decide.

13. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Thank you for the info. I will defiantly consider looking at the voodoo labs stuff i have heard nothing but great things about them.