Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Powermac g5!!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mz91, Jun 29, 2005.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I am now the proud owner of a dual 2 Ghz Powermac g5 :hyper:
    with a 20" Apple Cinema Display..
    I look forward to talking with Wrong Robot, and the rest of you Mac fans in the coming weeks!!! :D
    Miiiichael!!!!
    :hyper:

2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    :spit:

Man I remember when my g4 dual 1 gig was the shiznit. Guess that's the danger built into digital recording. :(

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My reputation precedes me, woo.

I'm on the verge of getting a 2.0 ghz g5 iMac myself. I think it will make for a very nice recording machine.

4. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    not only that, its spec'd with 2.5 GB of Ram!!! :)
    and 2*250 GB harddrives!!!
    speeeedy!!!!
    wohoooooooooooooooooooooo!

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Nice - these are the industry standard for video and music editing. I've just been getting into the Apple world myself. I was just reading somewhere that you can partition the drives and actually run different OS's and programs if you have dual drives. So you could be running Tiger 10.4 with Logic 7 on one drive and Panther 10.3 w/ Pro Tools 6.7 or whatever on the other side. Pretty nifty...

6. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I'm waiting for the Intel switch before I upgrade.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

you'd wait 2 years? you must not really need the upgrade then.

The thing about apple computers, that makes them really neat, is that, yes they are kinda pricey BUT they hold their value incredibly well. If I bought an iMac g5 right now for $1500, 2 years from now, I could sell it for $1100-1200, $300 loss for 2 years of a great computer. If I spent $1500 on any PC, 2 years from now I'd be lucky to get $500 for it.

My powerbook is still worth about $1700 and it's nearly 2 years old and there have been 2 upgrades to the powerbook line since then.

*shrug* I say, if you have the funds and the will, go for it, and sell it later when you know something better is around the corner. (the other neat thing about apple is that they only upgrade products once or twice a year, so if you pay attention to the news and stuff you can know when to sell and when to buy to maximize value/usage)

8. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I think I am holding out until the hopefully eventual G5 powerbook release.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

not going to happen. The G5 is too hot for mobile use, now that it is confirmed that apple is switching to intel processors, you can bet good money that among the first machines to get the intels will be the iBooks and the Powerbooks, they will likely get the latest pentium-m and/or the pentium-m successor chip.

There will be no powerPC g5 powerbook.

Strangely enough though, there is apparently a g5, or g5 variant that could run in a powerbook today if apple wanted to, but the performance probably isn't enough to warrant the big change.

10. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    My sister works at a graphic design firm and she uses that same computer (G5 with 20" screen)... Now she owns a mac mini, which is pretty cool... Congrats on the purchase!

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Yeah, don't hold out for a G5 Powerbook. Jobs himself said that part of the reason for switching away from IBM's chips was that there was no way they could make one cool enough to put into a laptop without making it slower than what's already out there. It is a miracle of engineering that the 1U Xserves are even on the market. A G5 Powerbook ain't happening.

I've recorded 18 channels at once with a PIII/500 laptop before, and played back over 50 for mixing/overdubbing purposes on the same machine. All it took was a firewire audio interface and a decently fast drive in a firewire bay. Unless you are a serious plugin junkie, recording doesn't require a heap of processor power. It's all about the path between the audio interface and the drive, and the speed of the drive.

12. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    oh, good to know

13. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Congrats, mz91!!! Welcome to the party... :D

I just upgraded my G4 Dual 1GHz to a G5 Dual 2.0GHz myself a couple weeks ago. I got the 400GB hard drive upgrade, and promptly popped 4GB of RAM in it when I got it. Even though I had seen pictures of the G5 interior, I was blown away by it in person. It's so damn clean and elegant! Makes you wonder why computers weren't always built this way, it seems so obvious.

As Wrong Robot points out, Macs hold their value pretty well. I sold my G4 for $1200, so the whole upgrade cost me less than a grand. I wish I could afford a new monitor too, but I've got a LaCie 22" and a Sony 15" that have served me well for a long time (I highly recommend getting a cheap second monitor -- it's so awesome to be able to have the extra screen real estate to put tool palettes, mixer window, etc. onto!)

I'm running Logic and Final Cut Pro as my main creative weapons of choice, and am loving it.

Sean Mc

14. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1 on the dual screens. I have a pair of Samsung 17" LCDs and I'd never go back to singles now. Some upgrades are show-off upgrades which aren't worth the money outside of bragging rights, but dual screens is one that definitely is.

15. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I've had my 12" PowerBook G4 for almost two years now. I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon. I love this thing. I might pick up a Mac Mini and deck it out soley for recording with if I stumble on some money anytime soon. But that's a ways away. My next purchase for this is probably gonna be DVD burner.

Congrats on the purchase.

16. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland

I know.. I had the same feeling when i opened the G5. Damn! 4 Gb of RAM. I havent been able to stress the G5 so far. I also have the EyeTV 200 which is awesome! I love chanel surfing on a PC. see something i like, just click record! :hyper:

The G5 is an AMAZING computer.. and although i will upgrade to dual screens, right now, i am in awe by the Cinema screen.. dont have ANY reason to upgrade right now.. Loading up iPhoto on that screen is a thing of beauty!

Peace an' Cookies

Mike

17. i use a g3 ibook i got a around a year and half ago. i paid 600 for the compture and with al the extras i paid 1200$. 640 ram 900mhz. iam still running os x 2.8

i use it to run reason. ive recored some shows useing a freinds 8 channle firewire preamp. iam gonna keep this ibook to use for shows to run reason. has never failed me and id ont see it happen.

iam tryig to decied mac mini, imac. or the g5 powerpc. i mainly want to do more move editing. and be able to burn dvd's.

any one use virtual pc.

if u dont knwo wat it is , it lets u install any os u want .

u can have 4 different version of windows on it if u want. all it does is when you turn it on a window pops um and inside is the desktop of wat os u installed. and u can drag and drop files back and forth.

i heard about the intel swicth but wats gonna happen are apple gonna be the same ie they only run apples os or are u gonna have to use windows.

my dad is a programmer and he was telling me the problem with windows is that its bassically 3.1 and they just add to the code. they dont fully rewite/ make a new os. they just add to the older versions.

sorry i iam a die hard mac fan. my brother is a die hard pc guy and we allways fight. since my family had to buy 3 comptures in a years because pc's suck then next compture for the hous eis gonnna be a mac.

18. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Your dad was right if he made that statement ten years ago. It's not even remotely true now.

:rollno:

Error between chair and keyboard, perhaps?

19. just over tired from working 65 hours

20. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    LOL @ ENGLISH!!11