1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practical advice about selling your stuff...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by vegas532, Feb 29, 2008.

1. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Whether it's on the board or craigslist or wherever, if someone is bargainig a buy with you, do nothing by phone...email, email, email! Nothing will hang you like a person to person phone call.

That is all. :D

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    A few of my pet peeves when I look at ads on the GFS sale.

#1. Advertising a bass as rare. Did you ever stop and think that maybe it's rare, because no one else wanted one, and they didn't sell!

#2. Price stuff reasonably! There are a few frequent sellers/posters whose ads I don't even open, because I KNOW they are asking an unreasonable price. There are a few that post a lot of gear, and always post it at a price equal to or above what you could buy the item new for. They also usually use the "rare" angle

#3. Don't put it's the best bass you've every played. If that were true, except in emergency circumstances, you wouldn't be selling it.

#4. "No payal" ads. Face it, paypal is quick, simple, and easy. If you don't want to pay the fee, mark your item up 3 percent higher than you actually want. If I have to go down to the post office, buy a money order, then snail mail it to you, its probably more trouble than I'm willing to go to, unless I REALLY want the item. You do yourself a disservice as a seller when you eliminate impulse buys.

#5. Posting an ad, then never checking back. Nuff said.

#6. Advertising some famous player owned this bass, or used one like it. I don't care. I really don't. Even if he left his dna all over the strings, it won't make me any better.

3. Great points!!! :D

4. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    For the record, my rant is craigslist related, not aimed at here. The a$$hats are out in force via craigslist, man!!

5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Be honest, Polite, And answer all questions, no matter how stupid they are.

6. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    QUALITY PHOTOS OF THE ACTUAL ITEM! Linking pics from the manufacturer's website is absolutely ghey and unconvincing to me. I don't bother with ANY auction or sale unless I see the actual item.

TRIPOD! No blurry shaken pics, you amateur hacks!

BACKDROP! I don't need to see your dump of an apartment! Duct tape a table cloth to the wall, get a couple lamps to light up the item so I don't get a picture full of blackness!

And DOUBLE-CHECK your photos! Make sure you got the whole thing in there! Even with close-ups of details, make sure they're in focus!

With disposable cameras and getting photo CD's instead of prints, there's absolutely no excuse for anyone to be selling something without putting up quality pictures.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    What irks me about craigslist is the people who just don't respond, buyers and sellers.

I've responded to for sale ads within 5 minutes of their posting and never received a response.

I've had items for sale where I'll get a phone call from someone, spend a good 15 minutes on the phone with them talking about it, agree on a price, and they say they'll come by over the weekend to pick it up. Weekend comes and I don't hear from them. Like they fell off the face of the earth. Come on dude at least let me know you're not interested any more so I don't waste my whole day sitting around waiting for you.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I love the people who sell bass gear on CL. Their ads are pretty much exactly what cheezewhiz is asking people NOT to do.

I'm glad I am a member here and know better, or I just might have bought that barely used Soundgear GSX180 with the Crate BX-20 amp for $650!! :eek:

-Mike

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh come on. There isn't anything better out there than "crappy cell phone" pics. I love how they apologize for it.

-Mike