Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

practical design for first EUB upright

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bjornbass, May 27, 2005.

1. bjornbass

bjornbass

May 27, 2005
    Butt(e), MT
    Hey guys I'm new to the forums but not the site. I've been reading nearly everything on this site for three years and I finally got around to registering. Anyway now that I said that on to the business.

I'm going to be playing in a jazz and blues trio over the summer with a guitar and either a violin or a singer (still undecided) and I don't really like the idea of gigging with my fender (it just doesn't feel right). I have little money to buy an upright with and I refuse to pay money for a Chinese bass. Building an EUB seemed like the easiest route for me. Anyway, I have roughly 3-4 hundred dollars to blow on making an EUB. My main concern is making it sound as close to an acoustic upright as possible for the tone I'm goin for. I thought about modeling it after the design of the Ergo uprights because it looked like the most practical layout for a beginner. But for the most part I'm still undecided on the design. It would be cool if someone could explain tone differences in common woods used on EUBs. Another thing is that I have little knowledge of the wiring of basses and I don't know which direction I should take for the pickup. Any information is much appreciated. And if I forgot something someone please clue me in. :help:

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    The one problem [well tricky part] with the ergo/stick style basses is pickups; the more you get away from a DB bridge design the more creative you have to get, but not undoable. If the bridge is based on a DB bridge then you can use almost any of the DB pickups on the market.

As far as sound & wood "I" feel that if you are making it a solid body, then bassguitar wood descriptions apply.

One more point I'd like to add is that on my EUB with a DB bridge I have fooled people that had heard me playing my DB with the same pickup through the same amp, and intill they actually came in the room and saw which bass is was playing they couldn’t tell.

Also, as well as going through all the links in the links francois posted, it would be a very good idea to play as many different EUBs as you can

3. bjornbass

bjornbass

May 27, 2005
    Butt(e), MT
    hey thanks for the input and links page!

I just had an idea, could I take a neck of an acoustic and build a body onto that? The scroll would look a little more authentic. Has anyone ever used an acoustic bridge on an electric? Could a piezo be a possible choice for a pickup keeping in mind the acoustic sound I'm going for?

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Yes, this is what I did on this bass

This was the general idea, and I did come close, my bass has more sustain and the overtones have a slight marimbaishness because I use a wood that is use to make marimba keys out of.

I always liked this idea, and have seen it done few times and I think someone on talkbass said they built one but I haven't seen it; here is a good site that has some nice pictures of one of these.

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The third instrument is indeed very nice!
    I'm wondering how the Fishman BP-100 sounds on a solid-body though. There must be lots of string noise.
    I tried it several years ago when I had an Azola BugBass, on my custom bridge, and it didn't work properly.
    I was using an Underwood, but the volume was not very even between the strings. The E & G were softer than the A & D.

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Your assesment of the BP-100 for a solid body is dead on. I had a BP-100 on my first EUB, It was indeed very harsh with a great deal of string noise. I had much better success with the K&K big twin. (it's alot cheaper too).

Here is a thread on my EUB: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165156
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160975

and my classified for a part you may need ;) http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171471

I would be happy to answer anys specific questions you have.

7. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Well, maybe I need to try a Double Big Twin!
    On what side of the bridge do you put it?
    Toward the fingerboard or the tailpiece?

Thanks!

8. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
  9. Vegeta

Vegeta

Jun 28, 2004
    Skopje, Macedonia
    You can check this site, if you haven't yet, www.ebass.nl , he used a DB neck, and the site has lots of pictures.