1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practical, good sounding allround rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hoel, Mar 31, 2009.

1. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Hi folks,

I could use your opinions on what amp to get. I now own, and will still keep, a Hiwatt 200 custom head, ampeg 210HE and ampeg 410HE cabs.

However, I could use a smaller amp for smaller gigs, that are easy to carry by myself.

Today Ive tried a bunch of different amps... A Matchless Thunderchief 100 (B-15 style), Mesa Boogie walkabout (w/ 1x12" cabinet), and the Genz-Benz shuttle amp.

I've tried the Ashdown little giant with my 210 Ampeg cab but I didn't like the tone of that too much. I am also considering a MarkBass little mark 2 to use with my 210 cab.

My basses are a 64 jazz and 72 precision. My "style" is old-school.

Opinions on what to get is greatly appreciated!

2. durarl

durarl

Oct 29, 2007
    I know that it is nothing special, but I love my Hartke 3500. I only have the head, but you can get it as a combo. It is very versatile, and depending on what cabinet you use, it isn’t too big.

If I was going to get a second amp, I like the Ampeg BA115T. It is small, with a good low sound from the 15 inch speaker.

3. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Any other opinions?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I like the Walkabout for your situation. You tried one, but didn't mention how you liked it. I think it's a first class combo, with stunning tone and volume for it's size.

5. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    avoid the hartke combos. the 4x10 combo is, without question, a two man lift...

6. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Gotta throw the Carvin B1500 or BX500 and LS1503 rig out there.

7. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    +1 on the Walkabout recommendation.