Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practical Practice Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, May 20, 2002.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Q) What's the one bad thing about buying beautiful high-end basses? A) They're kept in their cases and don't get maximum play. Therefore, I don't get maximum practice time.

Solution? Get a bass that I can keep on the stand 24-7 and not be worried about dings and scratches. But not just any old cheapy scrap bass. I want a good quality, good sounding and good playing bass for under $800.00. I've got my eye on a used '98 Music Man Stingray-5. Any suggestions?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I hang all of my basses on the wall. No stands, no scratches. Since none of them are in cases or bags, they all get playing time.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I keep 6 basses on a Warwick Rockstand. Cover them with a sheet at night and when I'm not playing. They all get played or I wouldn't own them. I do agree that I wouldn't take a high-end mint bass on a bad gig like in the wind/dirt/sand.
    Doc

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I second the Warwick Rockstand. I have two of the 3 bass stands. Keep them filled all the time, six basses waiting to be played. My other two basses I keep in their cases, only because I don't have room to keep 8 basses in stands.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Actually my high end basses get more use than the others. This is because that is what they were designed to be used for - get played!!!! My Spector NS5CR is my most prized bass, I use it often at the studio and at home. It has been used to put down all of the bass lines for our album!

Live gig wise, it won't be used, I have a REX2000/5 Spector in Holoflash that'll be used for gigging, and I'm working on another NS5CR at a good price for gigging use also (the one I have was a 30th birthday pressie from my wife, it has a lot of sentimental value attached!!)

Basically I would never buy a bass that I wouldn't gig with!!! Be that a high end bass or whatever!