1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practical uses for a Boss PS-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gribuski, May 8, 2010.

1. gribuski

gribuski

Aug 7, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    A few months ago, I bought a PS-3 to, basically, make noise between songs. When my band plays our set, we go out of our way to not talk between songs...we go straight from song to song, keep feedback going, cymbal washes, etc. It's 35 minutes of loud, followed by silence. The pedal works awesome for that.

But really, the only time I use the it is to help with the wall of noise, usually on setting 2, sometimes 3 usually with some distortion and phase. When I'm practicing, I play around with the pitch-related/combo settings I can't for the life of me figure out someone would use this thing for any structured song.

Does anyone have any examples of this thing being use in an actual song context?

2. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    What do you run after it?

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    One word: Isis

Don't use a PS-3 for delay. That's blasphemy! Setting 7 til the day you die.

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Try mode 8.

settings:
    12oclock, 9oclock, 3 oclock mode 8

:)

5. I use mode 8 in this song for the chorusy sounds

6. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    yup, Jeff Caxide of Isis uses the detune as a chorus effect and it sounds amazing, he uses the crap outta that pedal.

7. gribuski

gribuski

Aug 7, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm starting to get some ideas. This band is pretty straightforward, so I can't get super-spacey, but I'll end up using it more eventually in other projects. I listened to a bit of Isis on YouTube.

Also, I plan on trying an expression pedal to get a bit of a Whammy effect and see how that works for me.

8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    That's a great start! Play more on settings 7 and 8 ASAP!

9. gribuski

gribuski

Aug 7, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Will do! (especially 8)

10. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    or you can send it to me.

11. I use mine only as pitch shifter with expression pedal...

I like the 'artifacts' for want of a better word that comes from this pedal... all the chimes and tardis'y glitchy sounds... never used it in my band but if I was going to id use it for weird moments between songs or for running through distortion delay etc to make demented droning... (might be easier to run in a loop for this tho, then can make drone then switch off to run into next song? )

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I used mine for a few songs in my old band but the only one that we finished and recorded the PS-3 was only being used as a chorus. But I have a couple clips - some just for fun, some as potential song seeds - using the PS-3.

As part of a synth sound with the Octavius Squeezer and Superdelay. PS-3 as a chorus

http://www.sonicaether.com/newsongs/mystery.mp3

The next clip is all three pedals in the first clip being played separately. The PS-3 is in the middle.

http://www.sonicaether.com/newsongs/mystery2.mp3

More PS-3 as a chorus. This time just a very light touch of it with the XXLB and Sansamp BDDI for a much more aggressive tone.

www.sonicaether.com/newsongs/drone.mp3

Some pitch shifting with an expression pedal

www.sonicaether.com/newsongs/bendy.mp3

And lastly a bit of effects craziness. PS-3 with tremolo, phaser and delay.

http://www.sonicaether.com/dailygrooves/01-01-09.mp3