Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practicality?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ron Now, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I am thinking about moving my distortion into my Rack/Effects loop and controling it via footswitch (since my amp has a blendable effects loop and an footswitchable on/off). But at the same time I was thinking of getting a Boost pedal of some sort to put more gain into the pedal (I use a Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor) and since the more gain I put into the pedal the better saturation/sound I get. However If I were to run the Boost into the Tube Factor in the effects loop would that be practical for adding more gain into my distortion or would it just sound crappy running a boost in the loop. Or would I just be better off Running just the distortion in the Loop and no Boost (or Boost on the ground between my bass and the amp). (BTW: The boosts I was looking at were the catalinbread bass one and an MXR microamp, if it matters to anyone)

Oh yeah the reason for this is to get the Distortion off my pedal board so I do not need to bring the pedalboard to every show (I have several different bands and only one requires all my effects)

2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I would personally put the boost before the amp (but that's just me), the distortion might be alright before the preamp, but I think it'd be a mistake with the boost. I've been debating the MXR as well, but you should check out the Fulltone FatBoost first. I haven't tried it for the bass, but I did try it with my guitar, and was truly amazed.

Rob