1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice advice

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BluezBassist, Dec 11, 2006.

1. BluezBassist

BluezBassist

Aug 5, 2004
    Hey all,

I've started playing with a new cover band and to accomodate the singer who has a fairly limited range, a lot of the songs that I'm trying to learn are played in a different key than the original recordings.

We practice twice a week but I'm trying to get me head wrapped around the new material working by myself at home. I'm used to playing along with a CD to learn new songs but the problem is trying to practice in the new keys playing by along to a CD isn't possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to practice efficiently on my own in the new keys?

Thanks in advance for any help..

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes. Get the TASCAM CD-BT1MKII Bass trainer. You can practice with headphones, use looping to isolate difficult sections, and you can change the pitch without changing the tempo, as well as change the speed without affecting pitch. It's great when trying to learn material that is in many different tunings, without having to alter your tuning...ever.

Invaluable tool. There are too many features to list here, but it helped me (when I first joined a new cover band) to learn about 60 songs in a week without bothering anyone else in my family and I still use it to learn new material. It makes a nice travel practice amp too.

[​IMG]