Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practice amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rmonk, Aug 31, 2001.

1. rmonk

rmonk

Aug 26, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    I'm just getting back to the bass after a 9 year hiatus & find myself in need of a new amp. I'm looking for something primarily for home solo practice, but w/ enough oomph to move to a basement w/ a small band (likely loud & raucus).
    My local dealer has some Hartke combos (20-50 watts) I wonder how much power I'll likely need & anyone's impression of Hartke combos (I've used & liked their cabs, but never used a Hartke amp).

Thanks!!

Rick

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hey! Welcome to Talkbass!
    And your comeback is a good thing.

If you ask me, I wouldnt go for less than 200 Watts, no matter the band or the size of the gig.
    Its not about Volume, but about headroom.
    It will say cleaner ar high volumes, and will save you from upgrades in the future.

Depending on your budget, I could recommend a Carvin.
    Check them at www.carvin.com

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    how much are you spending?

4. rmonk

rmonk

Aug 26, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    As little as possibe (duh). Right now I'm just looking for something functional. If I get more serious I'de upgrade my gear to a something more substantial. Prices I've looked at range from $129 (Hartke 20 watt) to around $500 (several). I can't afford to frop a big roll, but money will only be part of the equation. Sound & versatility are more important than price. Any thougts on Genz-Benz (sorry if I've got that wrong).
    I've never heard of them.

Rick

5. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    All this stuff about you need at least 200 watts and that, its not relevant in your case.
    If all you want is a practice amp and some light jamming material, your looking at about 50 watt, maybe more.
    I got along fine jamming with my band on a 20watt Peavey, but I did want a bit more power, so at least 50 watt or more will do you fine.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    You may want to look into peavey. I think they give the biggest bang for the buck by a long shot. You can get a 80 watt 115 peavey combo for $150-$250.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    are you trying to sell something?

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    To have the DOUBLE ammount of volume of that 20 Watt peavey, you would have to Multiply that wattage by a factor or 10.
    That leaves you with 200 Watts.

Thanks.

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador

Of course!! My soul!
    :D

Nah, I just like the way Carvin products are made.
    In my opinion they are very concious about quality control and solidness in their products.
    That´s why I endorse them, and distribute Carvin Products in Ecuador.

10. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Try an SWR workingmans 10 combo. It's the best practice amp I've tried. The little guy will actually move some air too. I think a new one runs about 350? But don't quote me on that. Real good tone, and a good value. Would be perfect for an acustic coffee shop gig, or low-key rehersals.

11. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    You get what you pay for.

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Sorry, but as far as I know Peavey doesn't make a 1x15 that's 80 watts?

I suggest the Peavey Combo 115 (as always.)

210 watt without an extension cabinet... Which is plenty of power.