Practice Amp/Bass trainer advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by disasterav8b, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Greetings All
    I am getting back into playing after a 20 year hiatus. I am going to be doing extensive travel and don't want to waste the time away from home not practicing. I am familiar with the TASCAM CD-BT, but will not have the luxury of packing all my CD's. What I'd like is a piece of gear I can plug an iPod into and practice with that. Thanks in advance for any sage advice, and I look foward to getting back up to speed through this site.
  2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    You can still use the CD-BT1 (or whatever the latest one is) as a headphone amp. It has a line-in, so you can just plug your ipod into that. I actually rarely use the CD player on my CD-BT1 anymore, I just use it for the purpose stated above, except I use my laptop instead of ipod. I run various programs on my laptop for practicing.
  3. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Welcome back.

I restarted 4 years ago after a 20 yr break and am now loving it more than ever.

I've used the Pandora bass headphone amp for a while and that worked quite well. It's a similar concept to the Tascam, but doesn't have the built in CD player. It's also a fair bit smaller - you can plug in your iPod and jam away.

Actually though, the best device that I have is my laptop - it's got " The Amazing Slow Downer" loaded onto it so I can plug my bass into the mic port, my headphones into the headphone socket and jam away. The sound quality of the slow downer is wayyyyy better than the Pandora(in my opinion). You can either play a CD in the ROM drive or else store the tracks in MP3 format on the hard drive.

It's also much cheaper (think it was around $40).

The laptops bigger to carry than the Pandora, but if you need to carry it anyway for your work (like I do), then it comes for free.
  4. gingerbeer

Jan 9, 2005
    what you need is name "JamPod" is 49$ list and you can see it at
  5. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Good suggestion! The JamPod looks very cool! :cool: