Practice amp: Behringer of Peavey?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Peavey Microbass

27 vote(s)
  2. Behringer Thunderbird BX108

1 vote(s)
  3. Behringer BX300

7 vote(s)
  4. Other?

5 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hi there,

I'm planning to get me a small practice amp for my bass guitar (Warwick).

I've three amps left to pick from (see above).

I've read (Harmony Central) that the small Bahringer (Thunderbird) can't handle higher output volumes (it gets distorted)?

I'd like to hear your opinions.

About the Behringer BX300, it features this 'Shape' button. What does this do? The Behringer website ain't very helpful... :s

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Peavey. Small, cheap, and a great sound for the size. How much are the Behringers going for?
  3. If you're going Behringer, look for the Ultrabass BX1200. It can be had for around US$250.00 right now on several of the online suppliers. The BX1200 is loaded with features for the $$. What you've heard about distortion at full vulume is somewhat true. Although distortion isn't what I experience exactly. Anything above about 2/3 volume, my lows start to clip. But 2/3 of 120 watts power is still plenty for a practice amp and small gigs. The little amp handles lows quite well if you stay below the 2/3 - 3/4 level.
  4. I have a BX300 and if you're just looking for a bedroom amp, it's way LOUD!

The shape button accentuates the sound, making it sound puchier... great for slap and pop style.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Peavey, no question.

Get a used one, they are everywhere and you'll save a lot of money. Practice amps are way overpriced for what you get so why pay top dollar? I bet you could easily find a used Microbass for under $75. I would never pay over $100 for a practice amp. Heck, I've bought gigging amps for less than $100!!!

Peaveys are almost indestructible, Behringer is still a work in progress; many users have complained the first one they got crapped out after a short period of time and they had to replace it.

The "shape" button is just an EQ preset, it boosts bass and treble while cutting midrange.
  6. As you're in Europe - how about one of the Ashdown practise amps

check out their practise amp section - they have the 'After Eight', the 'Perfect Ten' and the 'Five Fifteen' depending on how much power you want and I guess how much you want to spend!
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not that I trust "Bass Player" reviews implicitly, but their "Gear" issue rated the Microbass as the best 8"er on the market.

If I didn't already have a 2x10" Eden, I'd probably check one out seriously.
  8. I agree with Peavey but only because your poll had nothing else I would even consider.

I have a peavey TNT combo amp that is LOUD, I've done small gigs with it!

The price is right!

9. Spanky2112

Aug 20, 2003
    Utica, NY
    These reviews have been great. I, too, am looking for a practice amp and it came down to these 2 models. Right now the T-Bird is $70 new and the Microbass is $130 new. I just rolled in to a guitar store and saw a Microbass for $50 used. It must be an older model 'cause the new Peaveys have some red light or red trim on their new models.
    I'm thinking that I'll go and grab the Microbass before lunch. $50 for a good name practice amp is a winner...especially when it's already been broken in :)
    I'll let you know what I think in a couple of weeks.
  10. Spanky, that's a great price, even for a used Micro.

BTW, my TNT had a black widow speaker, what does the Micro have in it?

11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The Peavey Microbass has a Sheffield 8" speaker in it.
    I have this amp, and love it! In fact, at a christian gig last month, the bassist in another band miked one thru their sound system-it sounded tremendous!
    For an amp it's size, it has a fat sound, and gets pretty loud-for what it is. I would definitely recommend it.
  12. So the older Micro's also have the Sheffield 8' ??

13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I'm not really sure about the older ones, but the ones they were making before they changed the graphics (which mine is)have it. Nice sound for a speaker that size.

You know Treena, I have a Combo 115 also, and it has the 15" Black widow speaker. That is a real nice driver-is that what is in your TNT?

Tim :)
  14. I bought a microbass on the TB forums. It's an old model, but the owner kept it in good shape. Still works great and as people say, it has a good sound to it. I got mine for 50 bucks, so I say scoop that one for 50 if you can. Totally worth it.
  15. Tim, yes it is! These aren't bad little amps at all.

I never liked Peavey much as a kid, but as I got older and wanted a small amp for practice, I found this TNT and really liked the sound. I've owned this amp since 1981. I still use it for small gigs!

The TKO's aren't bad either! Check them out!

16. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Will do Treena :)

17. Spanky2112

Aug 20, 2003
    Utica, NY
    Well...I scored that amp(Microbass) yesterday and i'm diggin' it. I have a Behringer BX 600 now and i wanted to travel and play...hence the smaller amp. I've only played a bit....scales and 1,4,5 chords, combo's of a bunch of stuff I've learned in the 5-6 months I've been far so good!
    I'm grateful to all here for the tips and reviews. It's an amazing resource and it's given my lots of insight for the month I've been on.
  18. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I've been playing for over 30 years. Wanted a small practice amp. Bought the the Behringer BX300 new for peanuts about 7 months ago. I have had no issues with it at all. I even brought it to a quiet gig with a drummer and a guitarist.

It's not the best sounding amp I have owned. But value for the money, it's fine. I figure if it dies on me after the warrenty, I'll bin it.

Pricing for amps in Europe is painful, so when cost effective options are available, you can't help but look at them. On the measure of cost and value for cost, Behringer rates well for me. YMMV
  19. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Don't no if you have access to fender amps were you live ? If so check out a Fender Bassman 25
    great practice amp.

Good Luck