Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practice amp for my stingray 5-string?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maxoges, Sep 15, 2000.

1. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just bought a Stingray five string and will buy an amp soon. I live in Sweden but will live in USA while attending musicians institute and i will need an practise amp. Any suggestions on what brand to try out?
    Thanks

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My personal advice is to just plug into your stereo w/ a preamp or line driver. I only got very (!) cheap speakers but they handle even slap sounds incredibly well! It almost sounds like going direct in the studio...My setup (Zoom 9030, Kenwood amplifier, old speakers from an record-player beat the crap out of every practice amp I've played yet (except Polytone, maybe...but it ain't exactly cheap)...
    Try this before you shop! :)

3. If you're going to Musician's Institute, you should have no problem finding an amp. You could probably find an inexpensive used one once you get there. In the meantime I'm sure they have practice rooms equipped with amps.

Playing through your stereo is ok if you're careful, but without compression and the low B of a Stingray 5, you stereo speakers may not last too long!

4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    In my experience, the Stingray sounds good with almost any equipment - it's simply an excellent sounding instrument.
    I would also recommend to look for used gear.

Matthias

5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If you really want a practice amp, try to get a Polytone (Mini)Brute - it's the best/warmest-sounding small amp I've played yet. Double bass player just love this amp - that's how good they sound. With 80/110W they're also ok for small Jazz gigs...

http://www.newulmtel.net/~musicbrn/brute.html

6. My opinion on the matter is find a good 1x15 combo, to really bring out that B string. That is an EXCELLENT bass, BTW. A Stingray 5 finished a close second to my RB5; at some point, I might consider a Stingray 5 fretless down the road....

But, as far as amps, take a look at the Ampeg BA115 or the Fender Bassman 100. Also the SWR WM15.

7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  8. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Like i said, I will only be in the US for half a year. I have a good hartke 350 watts amp at home with 2X15 mesa cabinett to go with it. Im only buying a bass combo here to be able to jam with my guitar playing room-mates, who are playing all the time driving me mad not beeing able to join them. So far I´ve been playing through a guitar amp, but that sucks! I cant use the B-string at all.

9. I practice on my Stingray 5 through a Peavey Micro Bass and both sound great. I also use the Micro Bass for acoustic gigs.

10. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Depending on your weight and size requirements, I'd suggest one of the SWR combo amps. They make small ones with 1 X 10",12" or 15" and some larger ones with 4 X 10".

All are top quality and great sound.

11. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    JMX: Do you know if Tech Sound Systems has a homepage?
    Even though it's a german brand, I never heard of it before (I live in Austria).

Matthias

12. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    <center>Strangely enough they don't seem to have a website (they used to call themselves Tech/Bassline). They also make superb cabinets with aluminium/paper cones.

US. Distributor: Salwender

http://www.salwender.com/ie_tech.htm

email: tech.soundsystems@t-online.de

[​IMG]

[Edited by JMX on 09-24-2000 at 12:06 PM]

13. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    The recently discontinued Fender BXR-25 is probably the best "practice amp" going if you can find one.Otherwise id go with the Peavey Micro bass.Good luck!

14. The new little Fender Bassman 60 is a cool little 1X12 practice amp, too. You should give one a try. Great bang for the buck. Those little Peaveys are dandy, too, but the Fender will might give you a little more oomph.