Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practice Amp - Help Me Decide

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wannabe_bassist, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Ampeg BA-110 for $280 (10" - 30w)

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. GK Backline 110 for $260 (10" - 70w - distortion)

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. GK Backline 112 for $340 (12" - 100w - distortion)

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. GK Backline 115 for $450 (15" - 125w - distortion)

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Crate BFX25 for $280 (10" - 25w - effects)

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. Crate BX25DLX for $220 (10" - 25w - distortion)

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. Peavey Microbass for ??? (8" - 20w)

16 vote(s)
    23.9%
  8. Peavey Minx 110 II for ??? (10" - 35w)

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  9. Fender Bassman 25 for $275 (10" - 25w)

20 vote(s)
    29.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    I already have a GK RB400III (2x10) as my current practice amp. But dragging it up and down the stairs at home is getting old.

So I was looking for something smaller however....

Tell me what you think of these amps:

1. Bassman 25 for $275 (10" - 25w)
    2. Peavey Minx 110 II for ??? (10" - 35w)
    3. Peavey Microbass for ??? (8" - 20w)
    4. Crate BFX25 for $280 (10" - 25w - effects)
    5. Crate BX25DLX for $220 (10" - 25w - dist/tuner)
    6. GK Backline 110 for $260 (10" - 70w - dist)
    7. GK Backline 112 for $340 (12" - 100w - dist)
    8. GK Backline 115 for $380 (15" - 125w - dist)
    9. Ampeq BA110 for $280 (10" - 30w)

2. I'm sure they're all fine practice amps, but if you want to feel like you got away with something, get a Danelectro Nifty Seventy. They had them on the Musician's Friend website for $60.00, plus shipping. It's small and light with a 3-band EQ. It sounds great and is pretty cool looking too.

3. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i really wanted to get one of those ampegs. i like the sound, plus the option to run your cd player into it.

i saw a used one for $150 with a big dent. i was going to jump on it but then i fixed a peavey tko 65 that i had laying around.

4. If your looking for a decent practice amp I can testify on my behringer bx1200. 120W, 12" speaker.

It has a hundred thousand lines out for you to connect into a mixer, or hook up a cd player, connect a power amp/tuner..........whatever.
    Comes with built in "Ultrabass" effect and a footpedal to switch between the two channels. I don't use the effect to much at all but It's ok I guess.

It's not the absolute best sounding in the world but it's nice and loud (I use it for small gigs and acoustic stuff) and cheaper than the ampeg. I got this setup for practicing with it that works pretty well. I have it going into a four track recorder so I don't lose any song ideas as I go. It makes a reference tape and I don't even need my monitor headphones.

Only $250! (American) and the most versatile I've seen. You can also look into SWR's practice amps as well.( You can find all of these on Musician's Friend.)

-insighted

5. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    wow that sounds coo.

-erik

6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Peavey Minx 110- you can get one for less than $100 on Ebay, and it does what a bass practice amp should do.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Bassman 25 is louder than all of the ones you have listed except for the two biggest GK's. And it handles the low B better than any of those, if you play 5 or 6 string. And it has a CD input, just like the Ampeg.

8. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    Not many people have weighed in on my poll yet, however, I have read around that the Bassman 25 sounds really good.

I have yet to read about someone who is not happy with theirs.

Any thoughts?

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I don't own one, but it's heavy for 25 watts.

10. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I had to choose between the backline 112 and the bassman 25. They both weigh about the same (the GK is a little heavier). I thought they sounded a lot alike too. Choose the 112 because of the wattage and the bigger speaker. It was a tough decision though.

(Plus I got it for under $300, same as the bassman costs new.)

11. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    WM 10. What a nice amp.

12. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I've been using a Peavey Basic 112 as my personal practice amp for the past 3 yrs. It's 50 watts with a single 12" spkr. It gives great tone and clarity without breaking up at most volumes. It's also got a headphone input jack if you need to play without disturbing anyone.
    I use it with my StingRay5 and i've never had any problems with it. I bought it new.
    Cheers,
    JC

13. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    Does anyone play with this sound? How do you like it?

14. shakeyeraz

shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was faced with the same decision a while ago and ended up with an SWR LA 12 - 60 W, not too bad to move around, plenty of volume for a practice amp. Good overall amp for virtually any style.

Sam Ash had it for $249 new - I couldn't find anything decent for less than that.

I played the LA 8 - not a good sound at all.
    Fender - don't like any Fender bass amp - low end ones are particularly bad sounding IMHO
    VOX - OK, not great

Good luck.

15. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I voted Microbass, because I own one, and I really like it.

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

the other choices aren't even in the same league as this amp. it's almost like a poor mans baby blue it sounds so nice for being that small.

17. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    I appreciate the votes and advice. I went back to guitar center today and played on most of them.

I picked up the GK Backline 110 for $260. I love the sound from such a small amp. The distortion is nice too. Its 75w and only 33 lbs.

Light weight for lugging up and down stairs and to jam sessions. Which was the main reason for getting it.

Again....thanks to everyone!

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I disagree. The lows from this amp are below average. It farts out badly on the low E at medium high volume, and if you play a five, the lowest 5 notes are totally unuseable.

The Ampeg, GK 115 and Minx are respectable below E, and the Bassman 25 handles it very well, at high volume.

19. I'll second the advise to look at the Behringer BX1200 as mentioned in an earlier post. I use the BX1200 as a practice amp and could have said everything mentioned in that reply. Also, when we have a strings only practice at our lead's house, I use her Bassman 25. Although the Bassman 25 is OK as a practice amp, it doesn't produce the volume that I have on my Behringer. Also, the Bassman 25 just barely handles my low-B string. The BX1200 handles the low-B much better in comparison. The BX1200 does weigh more (at 52 lbs) than the Bassman 25. I figure that with all the features, more volume, and better low end, the Behringer at US$250.00 is a good value. This is not a statement against the Bassman 25 as it is a good little box.

20. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Vox T-25.
    I like shaking the house every now and then when I practice.:cool: