Practice Amp Recomendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dustin Vavak, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Dustin Vavak

Dustin Vavak

Dec 12, 2003
    First of all, hello everyone, I am new here.

I have a very large main rig that stays tucked away in a rehearsal studio. So if any of you own a practice amp that you are extremely happy with and would recommend please do so and tell me why.

Dustin Vavak
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Welcome to TB, Dustin.

My practice rig is a Fender Bassman 60. Nice tone, and reasonably priced.
  3. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    My favorite home practise amp - Ampeg SVT-CL and 8x10.

Here is my regular gigging rig:

4. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I like the tascman bass trainer and headphones. Its clean sounding, has some effects and has cool options when you want to play with a CD. As for a small amp I have the hartke KB12. Its small, good sound and can get loud for its size. If I didnt have the kb12 I would look at the ampeg ba112 for the same reasons as the hartke. It also has a aux input for a CD player. BTW, welcome to TB.
  5. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    Gave the Peavy Microbass a good hard look. It is widely held in high regard for good reason.

I wound up getting a Bassman 25. It is is much more amp for not a lot more money, still very small and convenient, and I have been able to use it in a small, low volume venues.
  6. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, the Peavey Microbass is a nice little practice amp. Pretty good tone out of such a little thing.

I can practice fairly loud with a stereo...but it is not a very loud amp overall. But for practicing alone it is great. It's just a little (about) 12"x12"X10" cube. It has a headphone out and an 8" speaker.

Very inexpensive too.
  7. Anything Ampeg, or the Peavy microbass
  8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I use a Peavey Basic 60. 60 watts with one 12. I have had it now for about 9 years with no problems. Its loud enough you can play with someone if the volume of the guitars isn't too loud. You can pick them up used real cheap also. I normally don't care for Peavey that much but this little amp has a really decent tone for its size. I guess thats why I have kept it all these years.
  9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ampeg B100R or B50R.
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    While you're at it give the Peavey Minx110 a look. It's the slightly bigger brother to the Microbass, and has a 10 inch speaker and a decent amount of power. Mine is rated at 30 watts, but I think the newer ones might have more. Enough that you can use it at a coffee shop gig for a set with a few acoustic guitars or a piano. I have an older one from '94, and it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Great tone and good volume for such a small package and price. I'd look for a used one, as Peavey equipment is near indesctructible and you'd save some moolah.
  11. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I have two suggestions for you. Test drive a Fender Bassman25. Great little amp. Also the Korg PX4B <--- this little box is the swiss army for practice hands down.

Good Luck :)
  12. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I agree with The Ox. Ampeg B50R and B100R are great small amps.

The B50R is 50 watts with a 12" speaker. So that's probably the best practice amp, yet loud enough for smaller gigs.

The tone is very warm for solid state. Even with the settings at maximum bright, it has a good phat tone. Low volume is amazingly good. The best I have heard.

Most practice amps have tone that just simply sucks IMO. The Ampeg sounds great because it's not really a "practice" amp -- it's a real live gigging amp that's just compact. So it's the real thing.

And to top it off, the blue check vinyl is very, very cool.
  13. Fender4life

Feb 18, 2004
    I personally like the Behringer UltraBass BX600, It sounds great, has tons of cool features, and can shake the foundation of a house on 4, and it goes up to twelve. Plus, it only weighs 40 pounds! :D
  14. Another vote for the Peavy microbass!
  15. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    As a practice amp, I'm happy w/ my Ampeg BA115SP. 100w is enough for basement goofing, it has a headphone jack, it has a CD input, the tone is pretty decent,,, the preamp isn't too terrible, & the effects module is fun to goof around with!

16. @#&$^*$#(@)@!!!!!!! wow, thats a huge ampeg!! how did u get that? how many watts is it!? dang! :eek:
  17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    That's a picture from the winter NAAM show...a 36x10 cabinet and a head with two SVT power amps in it (IIRC).

I have a Minx 110 but prefer to use a bigger amp for practice...actually, I used to leave my Acoustic 450 head and a 1x15 at the rehearsal space and practice with my big amp at home.

It was a weird band...the leader/guitarist behaved like he absolutely did not want to hear me in rehearsal but insisted that I play at small-mammal-stunning volume at a gig (but I was also forbidden from going through the PA, which had a couple 1000 watts of power and two 18 in. subs)... I think he just had "issues"...
  18. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    It's actually 2 SVT power amps under one hood, it's not for sale, and no I don't own it. It was a tradeshow gimmick by Ampeg.

Oh, and that is not me in the picture either, as much as I would love to take credit for being such a strapping young lad.