Practice amp -- recommendations please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Dec 13, 2003.

1. I need a practice bass amp for a small room. I'm not going to be able to play loud, so power isn't going to be an issue, but tone is important to me. You can find used Crate bx-15's and Fender Frontman 15B's used all over the place. Any recommendations? And what would be a good price to pay for one of these, considering I may have to pay someone to ship it...
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you're looking for good tone, stay away from Crate. The fender frontman stuff is iffy, but the Fender Bassman 25 is an excellent practice amp. If you're looking for a more classic tone, i'd suggest the Ampeg BA-110. Also, stay away from the SWR LA series.
  3. FWIW, there have been several threads about the Peavey Micro bass amp. Each had some great responses and the price is right too.

4. I'll second staying away from Crate. It's the amp I use , it's "okay".
  5. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
  6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Just because I like showing off these pictures :D, this is what a dissatisfied customer did to his crate amp:

I won't post the vader pic, but I think you get the idea.
  7. Ditto on the Peavey Microbass. Great little amp
  8. heh, heh on the torched crate combo! I had a crate bx-100 (the one with the efx) as my main gig rig when i first started playing and never liked it. i thought the efx were horrible, no bottom end at all, just enless deep mud... but this one's just for practive in my little music/computer room where i want to play along with mp-3's fired out though my computer speakers... low-tech all the way!
  9. axe

Feb 1, 2003
    Yukon Oklahoma
    My practice amp is a carvin pb-100 it has one ten inch speaker. It is the perfect practice amp. great sound and I really like the cd player input on the front control panel. It is not the loudest but has a great sound.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I also like the Peavey Microbass. It's surprisingly toneful for such a small, inexpensive amp.
  11. slicktop

Jun 30, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Recently, I got a Warwick Blue Cab 30 amp. It's a 30 watt amp with a 12 inch speaker. I got it for 159.00 from a local music store. This is a great little amp, I highly recommend it.
  12. That Crate looks the same model as mine.
  13. What you play through may be less important than what you play. How many of us have spent half the practice time playing with the tone controls?

You can practice fingering without an amp at all, and when you do need a practice amp (as distinct from a reheasal amp), IMO features like CD inputs and headphone outputs are as important as tone.

I was very impressed with the Hartke B30 except that in a really quiet room I could hear the transformer buzzing from 4 ft away. Coming from a hifi background, it bugged me. I upgraded to a Hartke Kickback 10, which has less buzz, and it sounds very good. 120 Watts in a practice amp may be overkill though!