1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Practice amp suggestions for Ampeg SVT-3Pro head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geddyleewannabe, May 7, 2006.

1. geddyleewannabe

geddyleewannabe

May 4, 2006
    Need some ideas on a smaller cabinet for practicing that's more portable than the Ampeg 410 HLF I got a good deal on. I was thinking of a same brand 1x12 or 2x10 cab but not sure what models. It needs to work with my amp. I don't know much about the compatibility or power constraints that might limit my choices. I want something to practice on that's portable but something I can use in conjunction with my 4x10s when I need to. Is a 12 or 15" :confused: better than a 2x10" as far as rounding out the tone? Does the power wattage of the amp get split evenly between all speakers used? Can someone explain the difference between RMS wattage and total amp wattage and Ohm ratings in relation to speaker performance and selection? Is wattage like horsepower where it's pro-rated with the the level of the volume/gain control? It's been too long since I studied this in school. When I see some cabs rated at 200 watts I wonder if my 450W RMS SVT rig can blow it... I know this is a big question but I'm sure there is a fuzzy ball of knowledge out there just waiting to jump on it.....be as detailed as you want. thanks As far as my music styles, it's rock, alternative, etc.