1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice Amp Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by godspeed, Mar 19, 2009.

1. godspeed

godspeed

Nov 26, 2008
    I am looking for a small practice amp for learning songs at home. It will probably never get used for anything other then practicing so power isn't a big deal. I would like something I can plug an MP3 player into, and listen to headphones so that I can learn/practice at night while my wife and kids are sleeping.

Any suggestions? I've seen a little Peavey Max 126 that looks like it would do the trick, but wanted to get opinions from you professionals :D Will this amp be totally quiet while I am listening through headphones?

2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'd suggest the Peaveys, Fenders, G.K.'s, or G.C. Acoustic practice combos.
    Try to go to a Guitar Center and play through as many as you can.
    Go with the one that sounds the best to you.
    My personal fav small bass combo is the Fender Bassman 100 combo. Their alittle more expensive than most of the other practice combos but you get more for the money and they sound very good.

3. godspeed

godspeed

Nov 26, 2008
    I don't mind spending more, if it is worth it. When you say more for the money are you talking 3 band eq, and more power? I normally set my EQ flat, and adjust from my bass, is power really an issue if you are using headphones, and an MP3 player?

4. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
  5. the engine

the engine Guest

The Korg mentioned by AJ or any number of Bass Trainers by Tascam. They have effects, headphones, and some even let you slow down songs without ghanging the tuning. Plus you can practice whenever you want without annoying neighbors, family, roomates, etc. I have the older CD version of the Bass Trainer and I love it. I will probably pick up one of the MP3 versions soon. Good luck!

6. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    The Line6 Studio 110 will do what you ask and more.

7. godspeed

godspeed

Nov 26, 2008
    WOW Both of those are very cool thanks for the suggestions! The Korg looks like something that I would never use half of its features, but it is cool you get effects and a line out with it. I wonder if it can tune Buzz Fieten system. That could be exactly what the doctor ordered

8. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i have an old version of the peavey (microbass) and i dig it... headphone jack, small, light, decent sound for an 8" speaker, and cheap. i initially got it for dorm room playing, and it has served me well for 10 years of apartment living, late night playing, jamming with acoustic guitars, practice rooms, hotel rooms, etc.

the line 6 LD15 is nice, but a bit more money for, imo, unnecessary features for a practice amp. if you have the extra $ to spend, the line 6 studio 110 is cool b/c it has a di out that can be really handy for small gigs w/ pa and recording.

9. godspeed

godspeed

Nov 26, 2008
    I've been looking at some Peaveys, and Marshalls this afternoon. I haven't plugged into any yet. I'm wondering if they are silent when I plug in headphones. Simple is indeed a good thing. Small amp MP3 player in, head phones out, quiet when I am playing that way all things I want.

10. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I don't think an MP3 player will sound good plugged-in to a practice-amp. It will "work", but it won't sound that great through a bass speaker, and the bass and MP3 will tend to "clash" (harder for speaker to form the more complex waveforms). I'd set the amp next to a boom-box or stereo.

My main concern, though, is with small amps. On the high-notes, a small amp is OK, but if you play low notes at any volume, especialy if hand-muted, too small an amp will "fart" (overdrive the cheap speaker). I'd "try before you buy" at slightly higher volume than you'd use at home.

11. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i can't attest to the mp3 use.

most amps' speakers mute when you plug in a headphone jack, i know the peavey does.

a single 8" speaker is just that; don't expect it to sound like a 4x10. i sometimes roll the low end off of my bass pre- it is by no means a big round bottom, but i can hear the notes i am playing.

12. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    I have a little Behringer practice amp because you can plug anything with RCA's into it (I use an adaptor for my iPod and computer) PLUS headphones. I have three kids and do all of my practicing after they've gone to bed, so headphones are a must for me. Behringer was the cheapest option and it's performed perfectly for the past five years...

13. godspeed

godspeed

Nov 26, 2008
    I'm not worried so much about the sound coming from the amps speaker. More after the bass to headphones with MP3 playing.

PhilMan99 are you saying if the Amp speaker sounds distorted and muddy then headphones would be even worse? Maybe the Korg and Tascam things are the way to go if thats the case.

I just want to essentially plug my bass into an MP3 player and play along. Since I cannot do that, a little practice amp seems optimal.

That is EXACTLY what I am after! You have a Model number and does it sound alright through your headphones? What kind are you using?

14. olistorck

olistorck

Sep 16, 2007
    oviedo,spain
    Eden WT 1205... no troubles with the neighborhood:D

15. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The Pandora is cool, but IMO having to use phones all the time sucks. What's your budget? Without that, the possibilities are endless.

16. jd858us

jd858us

Dec 13, 2006
    I use a small Behringer desktop mixer equipped with multiple inputs, separate EQ, and headphone out. $60 at GC or online. It will double as a super small PA mixer to use with a powered speaker system.

17. rooted

rooted

Feb 3, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I don't know if this works in your situation. But I am in the same boat as you. Practice after the house has gone to sleep. I use an iMac and run through Garageband for my bass, and use quicktime, itunes, youtube or whatever to play the tunes.

My apologies if this isn't helpful to the thread.

18. godspeed

godspeed

Nov 26, 2008
    Yeah playing through headphones ALL the time would suck. I have an Amp already that I like, so when I can be loud I use it. What i need is a solution to when everyone is asleep, and I want/need to practice.

To clarify: I'm just looking for something to play on to MP3s after the house goes to sleep. Budget wise I'm willing to spend $300 or less for what I want. However I have a hard time justifying more then $200-$250 for what I am after. In reality it seems like any $150 or less 'lil practice amp with line in will work. I'm starting to wonder if quality headphones are not more important then the amp over all...?

I really doubt I need to drop $2500 on a Eden WT 1205 just to practice songs while people are sleeping...thanks for playing anyway:rolleyes:

19. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Then go with a pocket rockit headphone amp. Smaller than a deck of cards with it's own jack-plug it right into your bass and use phones without being tied down. You can walk around the house and hear yourself for about 70 bucks. Also has an input for MP3 or whatever.

20. godspeed

godspeed

Nov 26, 2008
    Dude, you are the man.
    Those look like just what the doctor ordered!
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...cket-RockIt-V1b-Bass-Headphone-Amp?sku=151080