1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice Amp Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzcrime, Nov 17, 2010.

1. I'm looking at options for a relatively inexpensive (I realise this encompasses most of the contenders in this category) practice amp.
    I play a lot of gigs, my rig is an RH450 with either my 2 x Bergantino AE112 stack or my AE410, but it's just a pain to have to set it up at home when I want to practice. I have been looking at what's available, at the moment the Orange Crush 25 and 45 watt amps appeal to me, as do the Roland Cubes.
    I am pretty open so I'm really just seeing if anyone has any suggestions or advice regarding this?
    Thanks!

2. CostaBass

CostaBass

May 11, 2010
    Lodi
    I would try the Line 6 small combo's, the ones with built in effects. For the price they are great. I used one for recording and it sounded good.

3. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I have a friend whose kid has a 30 watt Fender Rumble. I played on it for a few hours a while back. I already have an amp in the living room, one in the bedroom and one in my office, but if I needed a little amp at home to practice on I'd get one in a minute.

Sometimes I wish all of my bandmates would get teeny little amps and bring them to practice once is a while. Its a whole different experience and fun.

4. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk?

Sep 13, 2005
    Wyoming
    Use your RH450 headphones out jack @ home.

5. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Have you looked at the new Carvin mirco bass amps? They seem pretty impressive. I have played their stuff for years and nice bass sounds. Just a thought.

6. Winnb

Winnb

Nov 4, 2010
    I'm assuming you mean practicing at home, by yourself, or just along with some music you're learning? I bought a little Acoustic B10 and I love it for practicing in my den. It's small, sounds great, and has a headphone jack. It also has an aux input jack for my iPod and or PC music. $99 at GC.

7. I can recommend a nice Ampeg B15. They're a really nice home practice amp! :D

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
  9. Ampeg BA112, excellent.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I second the Ampeg BA112.

11. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I have a SWR LA12 (60W) combo at home. Plenty loud for practice and has Post-EQ tuner out/line out; a Mix-in; and a headphone jack. Easy to transport @ 39 lbs.
    They run about $250 new

12. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    On the cheap:

The Acoustic B20. And, it's headphones friendly.

Have fun on your quest...

13. The Eden WTX260 is a perfect practice amp feature wise.

14. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Another +1 for Ampeg BA112. Some of the other usual suspects are Acoustic B20 and Peavey Max series.

15. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The Ampeg BA112 and Peaveys are great, but I'm partial to the Roland Cubes. I have the 100 (and the guitar Cube 60), but I bet the 30 would be fine for home practice.