1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice amp under 200 bucks.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5string5fingers, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Since my amp decided to die i need another amp. I want a big amp that has a lot of power,but I just have to look at my priorities right now and see that I have no use for one since I'm not in a band and probably wont be for a long while.

So I'm looking for a practice size amp but I'm not sure of who to go with. I don't have any big stores around here with a lot of bass gear that I can go try out different amps so unfortunately I'm left to the internet and peoples word.

I'm looking for a smaller amp,power doesn't matter for the most part, but tone does. Are there any practice amps that don't sacrifice tone in this price range?

2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Lots of good reviews on the Acoustic B20. Peavey Max series also a good choice IMO for home practice amp.

3. Is that any of the Max series or one in particular?

4. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    look for a used line6 studio 110

5. I'll look into it but not generally a line 6 fan. I just don't like paying for all the effects that I wont use.

6. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    i just picked up a gk 110 backline combo. i was amazed at how good and loud this little thing is.70w @ 8ohm. paid $45 for it at a pawnshop,looks brand new. just foe the hell of it i plugged my 210 avatar into and wow did it sound good. also has a line out. i wouldn't hesitate to take it to a gig of my big amp went down.

7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I think the Peavey Max Series is good bang for the buck. The 110 or 112 would be in your budget. There are more positive comments on TB on the Acoustic B20 than Peavey Max, although I don't have first-hand experience with the B20.

The aforementioned GK Backline 110 is very nice. They may be discontinued so used may be the only option.

8. I think i may go with the b20 just because of its EQ. I like the low mid and high mid options.

9. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    The R&B model sounds great.

10. slaps76

slaps76

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    For my practice amp, I have a SWR LA Series LA 8. I paid something like $70 for it used off craigslist. For just practicing at home, it gets plenty loud and sounds decent for a single 8. Not a giggable amp other than if you were to do a coffee shop gig, acoustic, ect.

11. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    SWR Workingman's series are nice too, although the WorkingPro's have some new features, but they take away the option of running an extension cab.

12. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    ASHDOWN PERFECT TEN

13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Vox amplug then save the cash..

I'd be thinking heads and small cabs..

I own/owned mutiple small combos.. they're limited in their use.

14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    B20 all the way. It is the only one I have played that sounds REAL good at both low and high volumes. I still have my small Peavey there is no comparison. B20!!

15. kdog15

kdog15

May 31, 2008
    Baltimore
    acoustic b20. good solid practice amp.

16. I'm not looking for something worth using with a band,just something to amplifies but doesnt sound like poop.

Dark horse I was looking at the perfect 10 thanks for those vids.

17. I traded in my Peavey Max110 for the Acoustic B20. Best move I've ever made. The B20 has tone you won't find at twice the price. I use it for practice and on acoustic gigs. Unbelievable amp.