practice amp vs small combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danimal1973, Sep 7, 2002.

1. danimal1973

Sep 3, 2002
    Quick question...

I'm a beginning bassist, and would like to pick up a nice amp for possible practice/small gigs.

I currently do not have a practice amp...

Do you think it would be better to pick up a small practice amp, and then bigger combo later when gigs arrive? Or is it better to pick up a decent size combo amp now (and avoid the practice size).

Any rec's on practice amps? (brand/size/features)

My music interests will be classic rock, country, blues.

2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    If you want to play with others forget the practice amp. Opinion here on what is minimum wattage for a gigging amp ranges from 50-500w. Look for 100-200 watt 1x15 or 2x10 combo's. Try a load and see (hear) what you like.
  3. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    PeaveyTNT.... yes....
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    For home practice, perhaps you could buy something like Korg Pandora, which is small practice device used with headphones. It's no bigger than MD player and has stuff like tuner, rhythm tracks and effects in it.

For playing with other guys, some larger combo with a 15" and atleast 100w would be good. Crate does some decent inexpensive 100w combo with 15" speaker, and the Peavey TNT is another good choice.
  5. I'm with Tsal on this one!! I bought a Pandora PX4B. The Pandora is a super practice tool that beats the heck out of a metronome, it's some big fun too. You can run your CD or mp3 player through it too and take the bass part out, insert your own and then record it to see how your groove sounds. Also can record a sample part that you want to slow down to hear better and it stays in the same key (pitch), and it uses infrared (or regular) headphones too so you don't bother anyone. When you do get your combo, you can use it like a preamp (the amp and cab models plus effects) through your amp. ;) Oh and I already have a combo (for home and practice) and a stage rig too.
  6. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Yep, that's what I'd do. I have a Peavey Minx for practicing at the house. It has decent tone, just not much volume. It weighs 30# and easily carries with 1 hand.

I leave an Ampeg B-100R at our practice space; it gets loud enough for the occasional gig and can be pushed into the PA.

I used to leave a bass at the practice space as well. Practices are a lot more fun when you don't have a load to carry and 15 minutes of setup time.