Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 21, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Right I've recently gone back to my music school its little over a mile away from my house so I walk down.

I bought the cheapest amp I could find in some second hand shop mainly because it worked and was really really light.

So i'm after a very small amp with no more than 30w, usable EQ, decent sound quality and carriable in one hand for a mile without getting tired.

When I say decent sound quality I mean it can't distort when I play a low B and would be suitable for recording if needed. Maybe i'm asking alot from a small amp but i've never heard a flute hum when not being played.

I'm playing mainly with acoustic guitars, woodwind instruments and some flutes.

So Far I've seen SWR LA something or other
    Ashdown After Eight

Never thought i'd be asking for a smaller amp.

2. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I say get whatever amp you want regardless of size/weight, but castors on it, tie a rope around it and pull it to school. You'll look funny and wont gain the muscle youd get from carrying it but it would be easier.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Erm i'm not quite prepared to pull my ashdown and hartke rig down the road.

So des no one have a small practice amp that they'd recomend. I'm pretty sure most of you married bassist must have a small practice amp to keep the wife happy.

I also saw a small orange bass amp but don't know good that'll be either.

4. Ampeg BA112 is a pretty good little practice amp. It's 30 watts and sounds good for the power it puts out. I wouldn't exactly call it cheap though. Brand new, might run around $230.00 US $.

5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    How about a Fender Bassman 25?

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    The roland seem very nice and its lighter than both the ampeg and the fender.

The ampeg seems a big heavy and probably would be the most expensive. 35lbs. Would give me some more classic tones and probably better low end than other things out there.

The fender is nice and I like the tiltback on it that could come in quite handy. It's lighter than the ampeg but is still 33lbs or 15kgs

The roland is nice small and light at 22lbs. The effects would be interesting doubt how useful they would be but still it would be a plus. If this amp is priced the same as the guitar version then its around £100 which makes it alot cheaper than the SWR that i've seen.

Any further information that will make me lean one way or the other.

7. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Maybe check out the ibanez bass amps? They have a kickback 35 wats combo thats i think 150$ not to heavey :bassist:

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    See what they have in Jonny Road house. They normally have a few of the smaller amps in. Im sure i saw a valve laney combo in there a few weeks ago that was tiny and sounded great.

9. You're not going to hold in your hand are you?
    I myself would put it in some big backpack (army surplus or something) and then 35lbs would be quite manageable for a mile hike.
    Do it daily and you'll help keep in shape! Good physique is quite important for bass so in that sense you'd actually be helping yourself out with a slightly heavier amp.
    Unless you're allergic to sweat ofcourse, but I don't think you're that type, otherwise you woudn't walk that mile in the first place.

So in my opinion you're choices are pretty open: get the sound you like and/or the price you like.
    Although the good low-B handling steers you towards the more 'pro' amps, in which case I'd get the Ashdown, because I like their tone. But do have a look at that Laney, those amps quite often surprised me when I encountered them.

EZ

10. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Roland is by far the nicest practice amp that I have played. It sounds great, is light weight, and it is loud. It is hard to find a tiny combo with a really nice high end(with decent lows too). I have played two Jazz gigs with mine since I bought it a month or so ago. I am very impressed with it!