Practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crimson, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Crimson

Feb 29, 2004
    I've finally got the funds for a bass (drumming is an expensive hobby) and I've picked out the MB-4 as my bass but I'm having trouble deciding on a good practice amp. I'd say 15-20 watts would be good. Any suggestions?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    save your $$ and buy an amp with at least 100 watts
    the bass requires a lot of watts to be amplified to the same volume as a guitar, even at a "practice" volume
    even a 100 watt bass amp isnt all that loud and today many of those amps are small and relatively cheap.
    if you're stuck on buying a very cheap low wattage amp i dont think it really matters which one you buy, although a lot of cats liek the peavey microbass.
  3. well if your choice is the 15 watts or the 20 watts, i would get the one with the full 20 watts.
  4. sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    some said that, 15 and 20 there is not much difference, unless scientifically.
  5. You really won't get much volume out of a 15 or 20 watt bass combo. Strictly bedroom practice only.

If that's all you're after, the Microbass by Peavey is a good choice, I'm happy with mine, but it doesn't handle being pushed very well.

I've recently upgraded to a Behringer BX600 60watt combo, and the diference is startling :bassist: I love it.

6. Crimson

Feb 29, 2004
    I know the value of buying the good stuff and never having to replace it, so I'll ask this instead: If I get a 60 watt amp for the sole purpose of playing in my bedroom, will I feel the need to replace it within a year?
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  8. For the sole purpose of playing in your bedroom, I'd be blown away if you felt the need to replace it in a year. I can't imagine wanting to replace mine purely for practice.

Of course, if you start wanting to gig with it, I'd expect that you'd be shopping for a replacement fairly quickly.

9. after some scientiffic calculations, i find that:

1. there is a difference, albiet inaudible.
    2. the difference is 5 watts.
  10. Crimson

Feb 29, 2004
    Ack! Had another thought today, how much power would I need to compete, not necessarily overpower, with an unmiced drumset in a 12x15 room? Or would this be horribly expensive?

Thanks for all your help guys, I'm just a poor drummer that doesn't know anything about sound trying to pick up bass, and I was thinking I might want to have a loud amp so I can play with some friends if they came over.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    if you're hellbent on buying a small practice amp, i'd make it one that would be a little more useful than just the bedroom. i have a pignose HOG 30. I think they run around $140, they sound pretty good, and at least you'll have an amp you can bring to the beach and stuff as it runs on batteries. totally worth the bucks IMO, easy to carry around, and something that will be more useful over time than the typical 15 - 20 watt practice amp.
  12. Crimson

Feb 29, 2004
  13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I would say at least 100 watts.
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    As far as small amps go i would definitely go with the Peavey Microbass. Someone i know just bought this amp new and it sounds great for a small amp is louder than other 15-20 watt amps that i have used.
  15. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    100 Watts. Search this site for "Workingman 12" and/or Ampeg B100R" and you will get many posts on combo amps around 100 Watts with 12 and 15 inch speakers that will do the job. You may need to point the combo amp toward the drummer so the drummer can hear you. These cost 400 to 500 new, 250 to 350 used.
  16. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

If you really want just a 15-20 watt practice amp, I'll sell you my Squire SK-15B. It's the forerunner of the Fender Frontman 15, IIRC. Equivalent to today's Rumble 15 w/out the CD input.

17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ampeg B100r, highly recommended by myself. I have one that i used for 1.5 years until i recently upgraded. Id sell it for $250 + shipping if needed.