Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practice amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AngMan, Jul 30, 2000.

1. AngMan

AngMan

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm looking for a good practice amp for about $125.00. Any recommendations?

2. Try to find a used Fender BXR-25... you should be able to find one used in that price range. It's a great-sounding little amp. Actually sounds like a bass amp, unlike many of the small amps out there. It's useless for playing with other people though, other than maybe one acoustic guitar.

3. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Either the BXR-25 or a Peavey Microbass would be fine.It seems strange people keep harping on the fact that all theyre good for is practice and playing with a couple acousstics.Thats ALL they were ever intended to do.

4. Bernie, LOL! A good point!

ZZounds are apparently selling BXR25s NEW for 169 dollars, or so I hear.

Andy

5. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Andy,you hear right.zZounds has them at that price as does Mars.Zs just started a free shipping policy as well.AngMan,you should be able to find the Peavey for right around 125.An area dealer has them for 119.95.The BXR has been discontinued but theres still a few around if you hurry.Its more than you want to spend,but it is the better of the two if you can swing it.Good luck!

6. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bernie:
    Either the BXR-25 or a Peavey Microbass would be fine.It seems strange people keep harping on the fact that all theyre good for is practice and playing with a couple acousstics.Thats ALL they were ever intended to do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not a complaint, it's a warning. I don't want someone to think they are suitable for more than that when they aren't. I think it's a superb little amp if used within its design parameters. I've had mine several years.