1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by curtis mayhem, Nov 12, 2006.

1. curtis mayhem

curtis mayhem

Aug 22, 2006
    Toronto
    Can anyone recommend a good apartment size amp for practice? Doesn't have to be loud but good tone is preferable.

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    pv minx

35 to 50 watts, depening on the model year. great tone for a small cab. most have a 10" speaker.

can ALMOST hang with a regular practice if you have a quiet drummer.

perfect for practice alone etc.

can be had for under 100 bucks easily.

imo worlds better than anything in it's range from the guitar center sam ash crowd.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    My personal prederence is the Yorkville Sound XM50C. Quality sound, small, light, reliable and the industry's best warranty (although you'll probably never need it)

It has all the extras you may or may not want like an effects loop, CD input, headphone output and an XLR direct out to go to a PA if you take it out for a big stage. It has an effective 3 band EQ and puts out an honest 50 watts into its 10" speaker.

I love mine. I did a side by side comparison with the Roland Cube 30 and a couple lesser amps like the SWR LA series and the Yorkville is superior. It'll play louder and cleaner and just sounds better to me.

I still have my Peavey Minx. It's a good one too and has given me good service for almost 20 years.

4. curtis mayhem

curtis mayhem

Aug 22, 2006
    Toronto
    I did just find one of those on Craigslist about 40 min away for 125 CAD. Is that a good price?

5. rkerk

rkerk

Apr 26, 2006
    north florida
    Agree with Crock. I've heard good things about the Peavey Minx, and Peavey seems to 'under' rate their wattage, so you aren't disapointed in the volume you get. If you don't need the Minx, you could look for a Peavey Micro-Bass. 20 watts, 8 inch speaker. I use one to practice alone in my home office and it's plenty loud enough for that. It gives a clean low E at half volume with my bass volume full open. But, if you could find a Minx for $100, I would probably go for that.