Practice Amps w/ RCAs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OneDrop, Jun 24, 2003.

1. OneDrop

Jun 17, 2003
    Any recommendations for these combos:

Hartke A Series - A25,35
    Fender Bassman 25
    Ampeg BA-110
    Any combos w/ RCA inputs

I'm not new to playing but took off for a bit and need a new amp. I'd like if I'd be able to use one to jam w/ a drummer but with my budget i don't think I can afford the wattage. I don't think I have the time to do much jamming and I live in an apartment anyway so I'm looking for recommendations on a small amp w/ RCAs so I can just jam to CDs. Let me know how you guys like any of these. My last practice amp was an Ibanez BT-10 that really didn't inspire me to play at home, so i definitely want something that's gonna have a decent tone. Thanks.
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Fender RAD Bass amp, which I believe is an ancestor of the Bassman 25, and I am very happy with it as a personal practice amp. It is not loud enough to compete with the Marshall half stacks that some of the guitar players I practice with feel they have to have for a jam session, but for working out parts or playing on my own, it is great. Back in the mid 90's or so, Bass Player did a shootout of combos under $1,000, and the RAD Bass won the top tone award, despite being the least expensive combo in the shootout.

There has been a lot of praise offered for the RAD Bass and its descendants over the years. You might also want to check out The Bottom Line archives.

3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Try the Carvin PB-110. It's a quality budget practice box w/100W. Overlooked.
  4. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2003
    I just got a Bassman 25 for practice and it does have good tone. It is also really loud for a practice amp. I could easily use for gigs with acoustic guitars and/or light percussion.

I also like the RCA jack feature for practicing and learning new tunes from CD/tape.

The other amp I tried out was a Peavy Microbass. It was OK, but the tone wasn't as good and it didn't have the RCA jacks. It was also a lot cheaper though. Hope this helps.