1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bbrddck, Dec 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bbrddck

Bbrddck

Mar 2, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    What at home practice amps do you guys recommend?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What's your max budget?

BadExample likes this.
  3. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    I used to use a Fender Bassman 150 that I got used for $100.

Big Shrek likes this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I don't sweat practice amps, and use whatever is cheap and available. Right now I'm using a 20 year old Kustom vocal 15" monitor that I couldn't give away if I wanted, and my old bass head. It works fine.

Big Shrek and BadExample like this.
  5. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I can't subscribe to the idea that a practice amp should be any old piece of crap you have lying around. Most of us will spend more of our lives practicing than we will on stage. Why settle?
    My gift to self will be one of the 20 watt Ampeg portaflex's. They sound killer!
    Any class D ultralight, combo or head and neo cab won't take up much space, and sound good

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Just me - I'd rather put the money into my stage/band rig. And at practice volume, what I have sounds good.

7. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Fender Rumble 40

n1as, JakobT, Big Shrek and 1 other person like this.
  8. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I have a Phil Jones briefcase for home. Out loud when no one cares, headphones after hours. Top quality sound. So clean it keeps you honest.

Clipped likes this.
  9. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Stumbo always asks this up front. and it's always 100% applicable.

My take is if you don't have a rig, and you have the US pesos, get something that sounds good and you can play out with. A good rig should sound good turned down. Can you get out to music shops and test? Even if you can't play yet, just hit each open string, then hit each 12th fret. Hearing is believing.

Where are you? Makes all the difference in the world for what to get... that and budget. Please fill in at least State if in US or country in your profile for better advice.

and... Welcome to TB and bassdom. :D

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I run through mic in of my computer, out through Bose tweeters and small powered subwoofer. Good enough to play along with tunes coming through the computer and slow downer software. Headphones for quiet time.

BadExample likes this.
  11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    At home I use a small mixer through headphones (although I can go through speakers I almost never do). This allows me to mix multiple sources together. So I can play along to mp3s (most common), CDs/DVDs, radio, basically anything that has a plug :D

Since that really doesn't answer your question, for band practices I generally use a combo amp, usually 15". My current practice amp is a Peavey TNT. But if there is another amp available, I will use that.

hieronymous and el jeffe bass like this.
  12. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Yeah. The practice rig can’t always be just what’s “adequate”

I have two basic amps I use and it depends on the type of practice I’m engaging in.

If it’s a home rehearsal for a live scenario type practice then I’ll run through a markbass 1x12 combo amp. It will and must be able to handle and manage the full range of my effects pedals without farting out.

If it’s a “Ive got to learn the notes and progressions of XYZ song I might just plug into my little Peavey 6” bass cube I basically got for free when all I need from it is basic volume.

Big Shrek likes this.
  13. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I highly recommend using semi-open back studio headphones for bass. Sealed sound just as good and block out noise, but create a lot of pressure on your ears.

Audio-technica or AKG have really good ones for $50 to $100. These have been around forever and professional soundmen swear by them: AKG K240 Studio Semi-open Pro Studio Headphones

Stumbo, Big Shrek and Sid Fang like this.
  14. This, and if you love the sound of the bass, you're going to want to hear it. If not, why play it?

Got to agree on the sound of that Ampeg too.

15. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    There are a myriad of $99 amps brand new! Any should do the job but some popular brands are Ampeg, Hartke, Fender, Peavey, GK, Acoustic and Kustom. ANYONE should provide what you need.

16. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Also, I think sounding bad practicing would be a deterrent to practicing.

SJan3, Metaluna, Omega Monkey and 2 others like this.
  17. Practice only ? I have a Rumble 25. Cant be used for anything else. If I could go back I would have bought a rumble 40 or ampeg 110. At least could use at a very small gig. Would have not to carry my heavier stuff on my small gigs.

18. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    I agree, I don't see the point of tone chasing in the bedroom, when it usually won't sound like that in the band mix anyway. As long as it sounds solid and I can get good mids out of it, it works for me.

My Peavey Minx has surprised me as a more than capable practice amp.

Stumbo, Big Shrek and buldog5151bass like this.
  19. FunWithBass

FunWithBass Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Usually I am practicing to music and listening with headphones.

Lately, I have plugged my bass directly into a small mixer and used headphones.
    Other times I would play through a Digitech BP200 or maybe use a Vox amplug2 bass edition. Or maybe I would play through a Fender Rumble 30. Some times, play through my stage rig but DI from the amp head into my mixer so I can try different settings on the head while listening through headphones and hear the music at the same time (cabinet volume stays off).

Stumbo likes this.
  20. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I picked up one of these 15 years or so ago, and consider it the best practice/rehearsal/coffeehouse bass amp ever: EBS Drome Classic 150W | The American Guitar Store
    But that's a pretty high price - they come up for under $500 from time to time at used.guitarcenter.com.

But the funny thing is, while it gets used in rehearsal at least once a week, I never practice through it at home. At home, I plug into a DI box to an audio interface to a laptop, and monitor either with headphones or studio monitors + subwoofer.

el jeffe bass and Stumbo like this.