Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practice amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supermetroid, May 27, 2003.

1. Please recommend compact amps [combos] useful for practice and possibly small coffeehouse gigs.

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Polytone Sonic Bass

3. fender bassman 25 :cool:

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    GK M150E

has a bigger 12" speaker for better low end, and its one of the lighter bass combo's i've ever held. also, has more EQ options up the ying yang.

wanna go whole hog? Euphonic Audio's iAMP350 combo. despite the 10" speaker, it projects your low B like a mutha.

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    yeah joker man those things look interesting... what a cool design.i've never tried out anything EA, but they look/sound like they'd be good.

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Ampeg B50r

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my vote is for an Eden wt-300 or wt-400 head (get the gig bag from eden - way cool)
    then pick a small speaker that you like
    my top choices would be a bagend 15 with or without the coax tweeter, epifani 12, bergantino 12, or maybe an aguilar 12
    i've used my wt-400 and a bagend 15 on 50 gazillion small gigs and it sounds wonderful

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    SansAmp / Tech 21 Landmark 60... I picked one up for the same reason.

9. I gig with a fully flightcased SWR rig (SM900 and goliath 6x10)

But....I bought a small used Peavey 2x10tx combo to leave at the rehearsal studio. It sounds fantastic in a small room.

From my own experiance the Peavey gear starts to loose the Long throw ability of the better amp manufacturers, but it is damn good value and will happily do small gigs in its stride.

10. SWR Workingmans combos - sound great, very portable, reasonably priced, lots of features. I got a Workingman's 10 for about $300 and I love it.

11. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    IMHO: Fender Bassman 25 :)