Practice and performance basses......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Davis, Jun 15, 2001.

1. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    is it a good idea to have a bass to practice with, you know to beat around with and mess with, and then to have another bass that you leave alone to perform w/ at gigs?
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    What sort of extensive damage does practice put on your bass? Only thing I can see doing is just wearing down the strings quicker, but....

I'm a huge advocate of practicing and playing on the same bass. To me, each and every bass will play slightly different, and you want to have that practice down with one instrument, so you have the feel of it. While it is certainly possible to gig on an instrument you don't practice with, or have never even played before (Charlie Parker got good at that out of necessity), I think the best thing to do is practice and gig on the same bass. Save for the string-wear you're certainly not going to hurt the bass or it's longevity.
  3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I've been using the same bass for practicing and performing for a while now (well, since i started performing). Not extensive damage, just experimenting (sp?). Now that i think about it, if im gonna be exp. on it i might as well just get a cheap-o bass to mess with. Why do my answers always come to me after i ask someone?!!!!
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It depends on what you're going to practice. If you're experimenting with flipping your bass in the air and catching it, you might want to get a cheap bass to practice (I recommend a Jay Turser:D); or if you want to leave an instrument in the studio or in a friend's house so you don't have to lug it back and forth, that's a good idea too.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    When I played a ton of clubs and street parties, I kept a MIM P-bass around to take to the places I thought it might get stolen, rained on or smashed with a beer bottle. But other than that, I never worried too much about lugging gear around.

I have a G&L L-2500 that gets carried around for 2-3 sessions a week and has been nearly two years now. Stills looks new. I prefer hardshell cases to gig bags for added protection. That's about it.