Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

practice and scales/arpegios

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by wilki29, Jul 26, 2005.

1. wilki29

wilki29

Jul 24, 2005
    I was looking for some good scales and arpegios to help with practicing(maybe some websites?). Also is there any effective way to increase my speed besides scales and arpegios?

2. Speed is all about precision. Learn a song sloooowww until it's perfect, then speed it up to performance speed in very tiny increments. A metronome is a must.

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Yes, slow/perfect practice is the way to fast/effortless performance. Scales and arpeggios have nothing to do with practicing speed, so try not to make that association. There are plenty of folks that can shred unmusically, up and down scale forms already.

4. wilki29

wilki29

Jul 24, 2005
    well do you know of any good scales/arpegios sites? I find they help me a lot, Thanks

5. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Active Bass

Wilki, I think the Clap was trying to tell you that the two are not interchangeable. Any memorized pattern should be played slowly and then built upon. What he means by unmusically is that a scale is a dull run up and down, and that skipping notes, choosing different notes, inverting, etc. all lead to more musical forms of expression.

That said, scales are good for training your ears to hear 'what fits' within a certain scale, so long as you also understand the application of that scale. Scales are good for warming up, ear training, etc. and if they're helping you out, by all means, you should use them.

6. wilki29

wilki29

Jul 24, 2005
    i understand what hes saying. I just need some good scales to warm up with.

7. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Did you go to the "Activebass.com" site that I linked? Every scale you can imagine.

8. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Diminished and Wholetone scales might be what you're looking for.

The nice thing about those two, is that you can have more than one key center, as they are symmetrical scales.

You may not want to learn any otder scales. Just use different tuning methods instead.

Good scales for jamming on. Just close your eyes, get the rhythm, and jam, jam, jam "all night long" - Lionel Richie

IMO, the first five scales to learn:

-Diatonic Major
    -Natural Minor
    -Diminished
    -Augmented
    -Wholetone