practice bass vs. performance bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by billengelman, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Do you use the same bass to practice as you do to perform?
    Being pretty new to the bass and playing out, I was just wondering if it is common to use a bass for practice and rehersal only and one for performance only. I play a 60's Classic Jazz at our church service and an 80's Japanese Jazz for practice and rehersal. They play and sound very similar, but the J Jazz is pretty beat up and the 60's Jazz is mint. I even put a T-shell pickguard on the J Jazz so they look alike. I do use the good one for practice occasionally to keep the feel of it.
  2. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I tend to keep my "performance bass" tucked away to keep the strings as fresh as possible. After the strings get to be about a month old, and ripe for changing, I quit worrying about it and will play her around the house, putting off the string change until the next gig...

3. I usually mix and match all my instruments, but when I'm preparing for a show (running the setlist for a week or three in advance during practice) I'll spend about 90% of the time on my 'performance bass' and about 10% on the one I'll be using as a backup just to have a consistent feel going.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nah - I tend to stick to the same bass. So - when I'm practicing I am inspired by getting the best sound/tone I can - if I was just practicing with a cheaper knock-off bass, I don't think I'd bother! ;)

Also - there have been times when my regular bass has been unavailable and I have played live with borrowed basses and although I got through it - I felt much less comfortable and unable to relax and play at my best.

I get used to a bass and its ideosyncracies - how to get the best out of it, how to play it best - I need to be playing the same bass when I practice as when I play live, to be able to give of my best! :)
  5. same basses all the way..I'll use either of my basses for certain sounds they each nail respectively....and I tend to practice to nail the sounds I there you go...I can't see why I shouldn't use one of my babies at a show...
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For oldies and church music, I like to switch around. Perform with different basses and practice with different basses. The variety is nice.

For my originals band, I rehearse on my performance instruments. A lot of the music is technically challenging, and I like to rehearse and practice it on the instrument I am going to perform with. Plus, I use a 12 string on a couple of songs, and I only have one 12 string.
  7. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    I use the same bass for rehearsing and performance. I don't feel comfortable switching to a different instrument when playing out than the one I've practiced on. But I do use three different rigs depending on the situation. At my rehearsal space I have an Ampeg 350T/810. At home and for most gigs I use an SWR SM500/Hartke 4.5XL. In the praise band at church I use a Peavey Basic 60 which has 1 "12 speaker. The awesome PA at the church does the rest of the work! Gotta love those subs...
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I usually practice on a different bass just so I don't have to take my performing bass out of the gig bag.

Talk about lazy :p
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My consideration isn't so much the bass than it is the strings. When practicing, I'll pull out the bass with the oldest strings on it. No sense in gunking up a perfectly new bright set of strings just for practice - save ithe bright ones for the gig!
  10. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have basses for rehearsal and bassses for gigs
    I practice at home using all basses in rotation :bassist: