"Practice" bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NioeZero, Nov 21, 2001.

1. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I'm looking for a cheap bass that I can keep lying around at home to work on things during down time from the band (I keep my main bass at my band's practice spot and it's too much of a hassle to move it back and forth every night) and I was looking for some suggestions.

I've looked at DeArmond Pilots, and I want to pay somewhere in a similar price range. $150-$300, tops.

Any experiences with "moped" basses? Fun to ride, but wouldn't let your friends catch you on one? :D

Let me know, thanks.
  2. My MIM Jazz is my practice-and-kick-around bass. It's served me well as a main bass over the past 8 months (since having had my main basses stolen). I might even keep it as a main bass when my new 'main basses' arrive from the luthiers.
  3. Mexican Fender, Dearmond, Anything on Ebay that looks good. There are A LOT of old Charvels and other 80's-90's stuff on EBAY right now. Heres a few examples.

Example #1 Ex #2

There is lots of stuff available in your price range. What type of music do you play? Whats your main instrument?
  4. I think that I would aim for a beat version of my main bass. Practicing on an instrument that has different balance, action, scale etc. could do more harm to your technique than good.
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've played a few DeArmond pilots, and I must say, they are pretty good instruments for the price you pay.
  6. XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Steinberger basses rule.... Even the new ones are ok. Look on Ebay you can find what you like.
  7. Sometimes they put the Squire P and J basses on sale new at GC for $149.00.The ones I played felt and sounded really nice.Not sure how durable they are though.
  8. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Haha, thats exactly what I'm playing right now for a main bass, Gallient... to ebay I go...
  9. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    I bought a dearmond pilot plus a while back, and man, I love it! i liek the sound and feel of it over a any MIM fender. the bass i got was the four string version with the pj combo, and i can get quite a few different tones out of it from thick and meaty to that sort of cutting tone you get from a j-bass. I got mine from sam ash for 150(US), but those basses are sold out right now. you might be able to look around on ebay, ive seen a couple on there in the past few months.

another good bass ive played is a fender MIM nock off called a jay turser. you can get them at your local abc music store for 200(US). they sound just as good as an MIM and are a heck of a lot better than a squire. you can find them in both p-bass and j-bass models.
  10. OLP stingray? It's my practice mess around bass, im currently spending money on it to make it better, but apart from the fact it had no pickups or dials on it when i got it (Dont ask why) its been fine
  11. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    hmmm... not the one I tried... it sounded so thin and boxy, even my el cheapo ibanez gsr-200 sounded a lot better, IMHO of course.
  12. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    hmm.. i don't know about having a "practice bass" if you seriously want to practice technique and what not, you should use the bass you play the most.. imo... like someone has already mentioned, it may do you more harm than good...
  13. This is how GAS begins... How can it be too much of a hassle to move a bass? Amps I can understand.
    I've always said: "Not for love or money will I leave my bass somewhere" Or not in the same building as me.
    So you'll find a new bass, and lose touch W/ the main one. Now you have to upgrade it. It never ends, yet from such small beginings....
    I don't get it.
  14. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I can't see practicing on anything but my main bass. I would keep the kick around bass at the practice location.
  15. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't leave my basses anywhere were I can't thwack someone for looking at them wrong, except at home... So that rules out the transportation issue, I take 'em with me... I practice on all of my basses, I just sorta cycle through them, just to keep in touch with all of them. As far as practice goes, sometimes I will raise the action of my MIM jazz to an almost uncomfortable level to work out kinks in parts or just for some strength work, but aside from that all my basses are basically set up the same...

16. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Buy a good gig bag, lots cheaper than another bass.

17. I do the opposite. I keep my FenderP at home and use it only for gigs.

I bought one of those crappy headless Streinberg Spirit basses for practices - it's ideal coz it's so damned small and light.

I'd thoroughly recommend one actually, easy to play, as good a sound as can be expected for the money and they are very playable.
  18. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Steinberger, Cort, Westone, Hohner or any of the boat paddle basses. You get the idea? You get a great practice bass that is small, light and easily transportable, so it is the perfect back-up bass. and they sell for peanuts!

Yamaha also made one of these that is a super bass.