Practice basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Jun 22, 2005.

1. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    just wondering what basses people use at band practices / practices etc. heres a picture of my main practice bass.

post up any pictures of battered basses you have / once had.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I practice on my gigging basses. I find that if you practice on the bass that you will be performing on, that you get more consistent benefits from the practice.
  3. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    true, just i have a few basses so I want my high quality basses in a high condition for gigs and performances and for practices I use my lower end basses for example the one in the pic.
  4. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Interesting.... I find that most of my friends use the high end gear in the house, and take their "beaters" out to the clubs where they tend to get all beat up. I guess to each his own... :cool:
  5. it's like getting a porsche and keeping it in the garage!
  6. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I'm like Jeff. I play in rehearsal what I'm going to play for a performance.
  7. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY

Thats my practice bass.

Also my bass I usually play for gigs...which is pretty much church :D

I'd never beat my basses up that bad...and don't you like risk snapping your strings easier by stringing it like that?
  8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a MIM P bass that I use at home and a MIJ P bass that I use when I "play out". Neither are high end. I am just too lazy to take the MIJ out of the case :rollno:

They are slightly different: the MIJ is a '62 reissue so the neck is wider, fatter, and slightly more curved. However, I don't have trouble switching back and forth. Some would say my lack of technique works to my advantage ;)
  9. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I only have 2 bass guitars: fretted and fretless, so I don't ahve much in options.
  10. I guess that if I was in a band to gig with, and had the money to fund another purchase of the same bass, I would have two as well.

One for gigging, to keep in a nice pristine gigging condition.

Also a "beater" but also in well maintained condition to try new stuff on, and to drag around (literally) the house, garage, stages, the lawn, the road, and to a friends house to play live with the band on.

I think the oppertunity to be able to not worry about thrashing your bass, because you're not doing it do your baby that you gig is a cool thing. Plus, if you get a little curious on how your bass works, or if you're bit by the project gremlin, you don't have to worry about f'ing up your baby.

IMO, good idea... In my reality, no money to get a "backup"

.02 deposited,
  11. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I don't get this question at all. How do you know the best way to set your tone/eq without playing your actual rig? How would you know you weren't going to be buried or stick out too much in the mix? How do you discover the best ways to get more growl/thump/boom/whatever in a song just by changing positions or plucking in a different location, unless you put the band rehearsal time in with your instrument, really LEARN every nook and cranny?

The though of practicing one instrument and gigging with another horrifies me. The difference in tone and feel between practice and showtime would just be way too vast, I don't think I could relax and just play onstage, I'd be too distracted.
  12. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    Minger : yea i know I havnt strung the bass properly they arnt a new set just old ones that I found and I had to quickly put them on. I always string my other basses properly at any time due to what you said.

How do I know what sound I will get?

Well I play my main bass at home sometimes and that there is me practicing with my main gig bass, to get the right sound one of my band mates is my brother so i can work around the sound he has, and then our other guitarist also has a similar sound. I dont use my rig in practices coz its too big to cart around, i have an amp at my drummers house so it would be slightly pointless in not using that. Obviously Im the only one who would rather keep there best basses in top quality condition for gigs and then use the beaters for practices. In my eyes for practicing with a band as long as u can hear each instrument then its alright. For gigs we all know what sound we want and how to achieve it, and yes it does work as we have been a band for about 4 years.

If nobody has any beaten up basses then just post up the ones you practice with.
  13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    $75 Kramer Ferrington with Thomastik-Infeld AB-344's on it..

14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That's what band practices are for. I use my practice bass only for practice at home. When practicing with the band, I use the other bass.

Mine are both P basses. They bassically(sic) react the same way.

I play rock, not the most subtle of music. 90% of the time I play over the pups for maximum sound. I sometimes move forward towards the neck for a fuller sound. And for effect, I sometimes play behind the pickup. But both basses will react the same way.

You have to get comfortable with all your instruments. When the "playing out" bass was new, I used it exclusively. But now I am comfortable with it and don't feel the need to play it every day. This was not an overnight decision. I just started using the practice bass more and the playing out bass less until the playing out bass just started never coming out of the case at home.

I consider a bass to be a tool like a hammer. I have my favorite hammer and that is the hammer I prefer to use. But to get a job done, I will use whatever hammer is at hand.