1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice/Beginner Amp(MUST HAVE CLEAN SOUND!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CyberDemon2004, Dec 20, 2006.

1. CyberDemon2004

CyberDemon2004

Dec 20, 2006
    Hey guys/gals, I'm currently looking for a practice amp in the $200-300 range. I'll go higher if it is really worth it(but I'm trying not to). My requirements for the amp are that it MUST have a clean clear sound. I'm somewhat of an audiophile and hate distortion(unless intended). I also want it to have the kickback(I think that is what it's called, when you are able to set it on a 45 degree). Weight is a little bit of a consern, but 40 pounds isn't to heavy for me. Size isn't a really big deal either. And the more features it has, the more I have to play with, so thats a plus. HOWEVER, I wont comprimise audio quality for features. I am playing a DeArmond Pilot Standard on this, let me know what you think of that bass too.

Currently I'm looking at the Ibanez SW65 or Behringer Ultrabass BXL series. But I havn't heard what the Behringer sounds like yet. That leads me to another question, what is the difference between the Aluminum cone and, paper? plastic?, not sure what the standard is for bass amps.

Thanks for the help.

2. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I used to own the SW65 and used it as a practice amp and and a stage amp / monitor at church. The tone is pretty clean. It's a reliable practice amp. It also has a quiet tweeter, very little hiss, and an unbalanced direct line out. Nice for an amp in this price range.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    +1 on the SW65. These are nice sounding practice amps.

Paper cones are the standard and aluminum cones remain the novelty, despite having been around for 20+ years.

I haven't heard an aluminium cone enclosure that I could say sounded better than a paper cone box.

4. There's a Hartke Kickback 12 on ebay now (no affiliation) that fits your bill and should end in your price range.

While I wouldn't call aluminum cones a novelty, they definitely are a minority. They sound different, not really better or worse. I've played on a Kickback 12 and was pleasantly surprised, plenty of power (more than either listed above) and certainly as clean and clear as you're going to get for 2-3 bills.

5. CyberDemon2004

CyberDemon2004

Dec 20, 2006
    Well in most audio applications, you would use an aluminum cones on sub-woofers and woofers to give them the ability to handle greater power input, obviously, because it is stronger.

6. I have a Behringer rig (head/cab) and have also played through the 1200 combo, and they are nice little units for their price.

I tried both the aluminium cone and the paper cone and went with the paper. I found the aluminium too harsh/tinny sounding (I tried both Hartke and Behringer) for my liking, and far preferred the thump of the paper cone. To me it had a more classic bass sound to it.

I would imagine the alum cone working really well in a metal outfit, or even for a slap style where you want the trebles boosted.

My advice is to definitely try both out - you may actually prefer the alum cone for better treble definition. When I tried one it gave me more articulation of high frequency sounds like finger noise, string ring and harmonics etc.

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    At practice volumes in my study a behringer BX300 does fine. Also unless you're playing with someone a pair of HD201 Sennheisers (about $US25) will be cleaner than anything else you'll get. If you only use lowish levels to practice and need a speaker just use your hifi (via a pre or DI) and be careful of dynamics and levels. Cleaner than any bass speaker.

8. CyberDemon2004

CyberDemon2004

Dec 20, 2006
    Hifi? I'm assuming you mean my stereo. Well, seeing as how it is made up of 4 floorstanding speakers, that is what I use to do. My receiver even has a mic input on it, so it worked well, but it was in no way portable, so that was a problem. Also, it finally died, and I can't afford the $4000 receiver that I want, so ya.

Anyway, I decided to go with the Ibanez SW65 and so far, I'm pretty happy with it. Except, it made my bass sound kindof crappy, but I have a feeling it probably is kindof crappy. It has a hum in it that I had to ground the strings out to the knobs to remove, so ya, crappy. Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help.