1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Practice Combo Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lingering1, Apr 24, 2006.

1. I am currently looking to buy a small combo for relatively quiet rehersals with a drummer in a living room sized space. My price range of $0 - $225 has narrowed my search to these choices:

Alesis - BassFire 60 (60w 1x12)
    Warwick - Blue Cab 60 (60w 1x12)
    Peavey - Max 112 (40w 1x12)
    GK - Backline 110 (70w 1x10)

My main concerns are tone & volume. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    I don't know what your style or preference is but:

I bought the Bassfire three months ago and now I'm selling it in the same shop where I bought it. It's not totally bad mind you, I think some would say it's a good/ versatile combo but for me it doesn't work. Don't worry about the volume 'cause it's (very) loud (at least for 60 watts). I used it in practice with two loud guitars and a drummer and had no problems.
    But the tone? :crying:

It's just plasticky and fake and it pops and crackles and clips a LOT. The only fun part are the (tons of) effects.

3. Thanks for the input. I think I'll mark that one down a notch on my list. Tone is very important!! I just want to be able to hear myself over the drums. I would hate to buy a combo I had to take right back because it's not loud enough.

4. Come on gang, I'm sure some of you can offer some advice on these other models!! :help:

5. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    I have a Fender 'Rumble' 60 watt (1x12, no tweeter) that has good tone and enough volume for me. Keep in mind however, it is entry-level equipment (made in Indonesia), but I think it fits well within your budget.

6. 1stOfficerRiker

1stOfficerRiker Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Cincinnati
    Hartke is great! You should be able to find a used kickback 10 or 12 that fits in that price range. They don't color the tone hardly at all, so what you hear is what's coming from your bass.

7. I'm starting to lean real hard towards the Warwick Blue Cab 60. Anyone ever jammed through one of these? I plan to do some A/B'ing at the store this weekend. :bassist:

8. I agree with jsh008, you should look at the kickbacks (Hartke) I use one at least twice a week to practice and to play at a home church meeting and it works great, has plenty of volume and you should be able to pick one up for under 300 used. (It's 120 watts!) I use the kickback 10 because it was the smallest and lightest of the series and it sounds good even with my 5string.