1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice exercises to get ready for the studio?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JustJoshin, Feb 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JustJoshin

JustJoshin

Dec 30, 2015
    Usually when I pick up the bass / guitar I just noodle around for a while. I feel like I do improve over time, but I'd really like some exercises to enhance overall consistency, as well as speed, for both bass and guitar. And warm-up stretches would be great too.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Bass - Fingers / Pick

Guitar - Chords / Lead / Finger picking

Body positioning and movements / stretches

2. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Here is some info you may find usefull?
    follow the links

My Warm Up

Hand Stretches & Exercise

3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Realistically? All you need to "get ready for the studio" is to save up enough money to pay for studio time. If you are in a studio, putting music on tape, then you are a "studio musician" by definition. Congrats!

But I assume you are looking for some deeper intellectual/philosophical answer, to put you in the right mind-set and give you the skill-set for studio success? Okay, here goes: Start pretending your bass lessons (and your other music classes if you are in school) are your JOB. Instead of having the attitude that, I pay my teacher, so the teacher works for me, try pretending that the teacher pays YOU, but only if you are a good employee who flawlessly follows the teacher's instructions. Imagine that if you want to pay your bills this month, those boring exercises that your teacher is giving you, you'd better focus and learn to play those exercises with conviction, as though your livelihood depends on it. Show up for next week's lesson with a smile on your face, ready to show your teacher what progress you have made. And if your teacher gives you a lesson that doesn't make sense to you yet, well that's not for you to question: trust your teacher and make an effort to get through the lesson, even if you don't see the value.

If you can get yourself into the mind-set of a focused "time is money, follow the leader" employee, who can carefully execute step-by-step directions without hesitation or ego, then you will do very well for yourself in a studio environment.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    To get ready for the studio, learn the song until you can play it perfectly in your sleep.

5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    ... And the poster hasn't come back. Practice your studio playing by recording yourself. You'll be surprised at what you hear when you play it back. Otherwise, the only way to really warm up, is to play your bass.