Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practice Help needed?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bluez Dawg, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Hey guys & gals! When you practice what do you use for sitting or semi standing? Right now I'm using a little stool with a hard flat surface, I know its proble a bad idea, but would a couch be better?

:hyper: :ninja: :bassist:

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You should practice both sitting and standing, simply because if you play out, you're going to need to stand. Sometimes dynamics feel different when sitting than they do when standing. Main thing is to find a way to stay comfortable while playing.

3. Kronos thanks dude for the reply, I stand, and I do sit, when I sit what type of chair or couch should I bee looking for? my stool is getting a little annoying.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Do as much practice standing as you can tolerate because you will most likely be standing during gigs and even during band practices.

However, for those times when you do want to sit (because that bass can get mighty heavy), find a seat that doesn't have arms, but preferably does have good back support. I also think it is helpful if your feet can touch the floor. It may take some experimentation, trial and error to find the perfect seat for you to use for practice.

5. Boplicity! I do 10 minuts standing, and 10 minuts sitting, then I just do scales for 10 minuts as well to get used to where all the notes are, Yes I still do scales :).