1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JacobKarbin, Oct 22, 2010.

1. JacobKarbin

JacobKarbin

Oct 22, 2010
    I am always at work and I want to practice my finger picking technique. Does anybody know of a product that is like a tiny bass guitar neck? something with 4 strings that simulates the area of the bass guitar by the pickup?

I am looking for something I can plop down on my desk and practice picking on.

Thanks!

2. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I dont think one gets much usefulness out of those practice aids. Playing on a real isntrument, a whole one is needed imo. If you place the little practice thing on your desk and go at it the angles are going to be all wrong for hand and arm etc. No real benefit to playing bass in normal fashion. If you must practice when you dont got a actual bass around, I think you'd benefit more by doing finger plucking air guitar type exercises myself. At least then your hand and arm etc are getting into correct positions. Without fretting hand and arm haveing to get into all wonky positions to hold that silly thing in vid while you try to play it in normal plucking positions. Lol.

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    There is a lot more to music than moving your fingers - much of the real work (I've finally learned) needs to be done in your head.
    Use your "Away from the bass" time to visualize scales and chord forms, do ear training work, transcribe music... all is very good practice and will make you a much better bass player.

5. JacobKarbin

JacobKarbin

Oct 22, 2010
    Thank you so much!