1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice Intonation With a [Free] App

Discussion in 'Double Bass Pedagogy [DB]' started by SteIIa, Nov 27, 2018.

1. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    That looks great!

No Android?

Silevesq likes this.
  2. Unfortunately, I'm only an iOS dev. Therefore, no android. :(

J_Bass likes this.
  3. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Agreed. I'd download today if it were android. Let us know when its 2.0!

4. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Is there any way of running it on a Mac laptop?

Silevesq likes this.
  5. Unfortunately not. iOS is separate from macOS. Tough, depending on how much time I have off from work at Christmas, I can look how similar iOS and macOS development is and see if it's easy to port it. Probably won't happen, though, if I have to pay for a Mac developer license - long as the app is free.

And to be fair, I'd rather spend the time practicing bass. lol. :p

J_Bass likes this.
  6. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    I just downloaded your app and look forward to trying it out - thanks!

7. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    I think that is a good choice!

8. chilensko

chilensko

Sep 27, 2010
    Thanks! I'll try it out.

9. bassburner

bassburner Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I've been looking for something to do for Android. Mind if I port it?

10. Rather than port it, I'd much rather you make your own version - I'll be adding things intermittently to the app (ability to play arpeggios & inversions instead of just scales, ability to set the sound that plays and so on) and I'd rather not want to worry about having someone else keep up. Get creative; put your own stamp on it; improve upon what I've built! That's the only way we learn. :)

11. chilensko

chilensko

Sep 27, 2010
    Hey I really like the app, simple and very useful, one thing I don’t get is the he time signature . Looks like it doesn’t affect anything.
    And probably it would be nice to have and option to choose A440 or a442 etc.
    Thanks again!

12. For those of you messaging me about sound in the app: make sure you're not in silent/vibration mode on your phone.

Also, I'm putting out a tiny update today: scales will now go to the octave and back. It was a silly mistake I made that they didn't. So now a C major will be C D E F G A B C C B A G F E D C.....

13. Time signature doesn't currently affect anything, you're right. But I have some plans in the future which required time signature implementation from the beginning. So it'll have an effect in a future update. Right now, you can pretend? haha.

To be honest: I whipped this up for myself over a long weekend so it's not the most polished thing in the world. Most of the work was not the actual app itself but modeling the vast majority of Western musical theory so that I could do the things I wanted to eventually - the app'll be able to generate standard chord progressions (ii V Is,
    I V VI iii iv I IV V etc), arpeggions in any inversion, chords with whatever extensions, and more. :)

14. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I have to say that regularly practicing with a device connected to the internet is not worth it. Airplane mode if you must. I would also limit this to a small portion of practice that involves Simandl or equivalent etudes, basic metronome work and scales and arpeggios without electronic aide. It is a nice thing to work on, but, should not be a priority over the traditional practice concepts.

15. I very much agree with this but want to point out:
    • This is not a net based app, so practice offline/airplane all you want
    • I usually use this for 5-10 minutes a day when I'm warming up to really get my ears and my hand in tune
    I would not recommend only practicing with it - you do not want it to become a crutch. But it's a helpful tool to practice/check intonation in an immediate way and therefore correct positioning immediately.

Chris Fitzgerald and damonsmith like this.
  16. kkenda11

kkenda11 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    Great idea and nice implementation.

Arpeggios and inversions sound great.

As far as features for the future, it would be great if it had a setting where it automatically cycled all the way around the circle of 4ths.

17. bassburner

bassburner Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sounds like a plan.

18. threetone

threetone

Sep 27, 2011
    Europe
    thanks!

19. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007