Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practice Makes Perfect (answer quick)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PunkO, Oct 22, 2000.

1. PunkO

PunkO

Oct 22, 2000
    I've been playin bass since last Feb, but I stoped takin lessons with the teacher cause he was a going a little to fast for me and i was havin a little trouble. Anyway I took some video lessons and I've been slacking. Know I find out that one of my friends is playin and I want to start practicing again but I feel that only want to practice because i want to be better them him. So now I dont know if I should take this as something to get me goin again or if I should take this as "thats not why you play bass and practice". What should I do? should I just wait for something else to come and motivate me or just take this experience as something to get me goin again? Or should I do both?

Please answer soon I need to know.

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Why do YOU...want to play music? And WHY...the bass guitar?

3. PunkO

PunkO

Oct 22, 2000
    I want to play music because I love to do it and it just fun and bass because i had first wanted to play guitar then drums so i said hell why not do both sort. Keep the beat like drums and get a guitar type sound.

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    There's your answer...:)

5. PunkO

PunkO

Oct 22, 2000
    what do you mean theres your answer?

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    You said that you love music...and that playing it is fun. So why would you want to be better at it? Just to be better than somone else? OR...because....you love music and it is fun?
    The answer is...that only YOU can truly answer this for yourself. We all have our reasons....and YOU must find...and KNOW yours.

7. PunkO

PunkO

Oct 22, 2000
    I guess that makes sense. thanks alot with all of this.

8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I really wasn't trying to speak in riddles....:)
    Just hoping to help you understand...that we all have been there and have had to find our individual reasons for practicing and improving.
    I gave up long ago trying to be better than others...:)
    but I DO play, because...I TOO love music and it IS fun.:)

9. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    if you practice to be better than someone else, then i think thats actually a good form of motivation. i read in an article once that one of the best ways to make yourself better is to surround yourself by good musicians, so that you challenge yourself, and reach better levels of playing.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm not a particularly competitive person, but I think practicing to be better than someone else is OK. A little competition can get things going, and may lead you to compete with yourself, which probably is better. Then you can move into competing with the guys you hear on recordings, like Vic, Jaco, Stanley, and Nathan.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah it's good to push one's self, just remember that music is not a race. the guys who practice ONLY to be better than everyone else stick out like the chicks that get the boob jobs that are bigger than watermellons. yeah, so they got the biggest boobs in the world, so WHAT? same with non-musical chops-hounds. that's not to say that all chops-hounds are non-musical, it's just 2 things that must be equally important and pursued - chops/playing ability, and creative/musical ability.

remember to always practice towards a musical goal, not for the bass olympics. :D

12. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    There's only one Player that I want to make certain that I stay better than. ;)

13. PunkO

PunkO

Oct 22, 2000
    you lost me John.

14. Incidentally, practice doesn't make perfect. In the words of Vince Lombardi, "PERFECT practice makes perfect".

You have to practice the right stuff in the right way for the right reasons. If your idea of practice is to sit down and play stuff you already know, you aren't practicing to make perfect. If you practice to be better than someone else you aren't practicing to make perfect.

If you practice stuff you DON'T know, and you concentrate on sounding every note perfectly and with good timing and no extraneous noises, THEN you're practicing to make perfect.

You're going to learn what you practice, eventually, and if your practice includes lots of ****ups and lousy technique and not paying attention to timing and groove, then that's how you're going to end up.